Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Sudi

creating a condiitonal column and want the output to be date,

I am creating a condiitonal column and want the output to be date, i was using this #date(2023, 9, 1) as syntax in the output column and formatted the new column as date, for some reason the column in throwing an error. What could be wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the additional info.  You can do something like this...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8nL0U4rViVZyc3UC076OQWDaMSAIyo8E016hflDaByIf6g6mg10DwLS/cwiY9vMPA9Murs5KsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Month", type text}}),
    DateFromMonth = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date", 
        let 
            strMonths = {"JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"}
        in
        each 
            try
                let intMonth = List.PositionOf ( strMonths, [Month] ) + 1 in
                Date.ToText ( #date(2023,intMonth,1), "dd-MM-yyyy" )
            otherwise null, type text
    )
in
    DateFromMonth

jennratten_0-1703175614087.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jennratten
Super User
Super User

@Sudi Have you had a chance to look at the solution provided?  Please consider clicking Accept as Solution if this answered your question or solved your problem.  Thanks!

Sudi

Thank you Jen, Posting more details if that helps

• To elaborate The column that i am trying to create a conditional column from has abbreviation of the month i.e NOV, DEC etc
  • I am trying to create a new column using condition "contains" this abbreviation and then in the output want to have the column in DD-MM-YYYY format so that i can create hierarchy in the visualization. I can successfully have text of September, October etc however what i need is date format

Thanks for the additional info.  You can do something like this...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8nL0U4rViVZyc3UC076OQWDaMSAIyo8E016hflDaByIf6g6mg10DwLS/cwiY9vMPA9Murs5KsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Month", type text}}),
    DateFromMonth = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date", 
        let 
            strMonths = {"JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"}
        in
        each 
            try
                let intMonth = List.PositionOf ( strMonths, [Month] ) + 1 in
                Date.ToText ( #date(2023,intMonth,1), "dd-MM-yyyy" )
            otherwise null, type text
    )
in
    DateFromMonth

jennratten_0-1703175614087.png

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - it's difficult to say what's wrong without seeing the error message being thrown or the condition and data.  That being said, I would guess that the problem may be the data type like one or more of the below reasons:

• the condition in which the result is not the date specified does not result in a date - therefore formatting it as a date throws an error.
  • the values being evaluated by the condition are not appropriate based on the data type.  For example, if you are evaluating 1 = "abc" an error would be thrown because you cannot compare a number to text.

If you need further assistance, please post some sample data along with your script and the error message being generated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors