Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

Why does it take so long to execute this M code?

The following code snippet runs for hours and I do not know if it ever completes because after seeing how long the first run is, I canceled it. Here is the M code and table size is about 250K in import mode:

#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1),
    new_idx_list = List.Accumulate(#"Added Index"[Index],{0}, (state,current) =>  if current = 0 then {1} else if #"Added Index"{current-1}[Status] = #"Added Index"{current}[Status] then state & {List.Last(state)} else state & {List.Last(state)+1}),
    Add_columns= Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(#"Added Index")&{new_idx_list})
in
    Add_columns

If with a small dataset like this, the M engine already struggles to generate 2 index columns, then what other solution is available?  There are only 2 categories in this table, ordered by datetime ascending, and the use case is:

1_assign the same index to each category cluster, ie starting with index == 1, if the first 10 rows are of the same category (cat1), then assign index value == 1 to all these rows;

2_if next 5 rows are of category 2 (cat2), then assign index value == 2 to all these;

3_if next rows are of cat1, then assign index value == 3 to these;

4_if next rows are of cat2, then assign index valuue == 4 to all these rows, and so on, effectively assigning the same index value to each group of rows that occur in the table if they belong to the same category AND are contiguous, thus as soon as the next row belongs to the other category, then a new index number (incremented by 1 from the previous index nuumber) will be assigned to this next group, etc.

The goal is to extract the first row from each group, that is, every time we detect a new index number, that is an index different by 1 from the previous, then we know that this is the first row of the group this index number identifies and we want to return a table that contains only these first rows.  

I hope this is clear enough but if not, please let me know, and I'll give it another shot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

A Table.Group with GroupKind.Local should accomplish this.  I'm not sure exactly what you want but grouping by status(?).  You can add an Index column afterwards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

A Table.Group with GroupKind.Local should accomplish this.  I'm not sure exactly what you want but grouping by status(?).  You can add an Index column afterwards.

Deleted prev response... was doing some extra unnecessary steps... works like a charm now. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors