Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JCouture
Frequent Visitor

Very Slow Power Query

Hey everyone,

I am having some issues with a Query refresh that we have to do on a weekly basis. It basically goes into a Sharepoint folder, opens and merges all of the files in there, and then does a bunch of transformations so we can use the data to report our performance metrics.

The refresh takes ~15mins and only gets longer after each week. Any help that could make this faster would be appreciated!

let
Source = Sharepoint_Weekly,
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Transform File (2)", each #"Transform File (2)"([Content])),

#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Transform File (2)"}),
#"Expanded Transform File (2)1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (2)", {"ORDEN", "CODSUC", "CODMAQ", "NUMSER", "CODUSU"}, {"Datetime", "Product", "Press", "Serial #", "User ID"}),
#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Transform File (2)1", each ([Product] <> null)),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows1", {{"Datetime", type datetime}, {"Product", type text}, {"Press", type text}, {"Serial #", Int64.Type}, {"User ID", Int64.Type}}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Table.Buffer(#"Changed Type"), {"Serial #"}, Table.Buffer(CAPScrapWeekly), {"Serial #"}, "CAPScrapWeekly", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded CAPScrapWeekly" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "CAPScrapWeekly", {"CQ", "Prod Date"}, {"CQ", "CAPScrapWeekly.Prod Date"}),
#"Added Custom6" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded CAPScrapWeekly", "Prod Date", each if DateTime.Time([Datetime]) < Time.From("07:00") then DateTime.Date(Date.AddDays([Datetime],-1)) else DateTime.Date([Datetime]), type date),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom6", "WeekNum", each Text.PadStart(Text.From(Date.WeekOfYear([Prod Date])),2,"0"), type text),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Added Custom",null,"-",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"CQ"}),
#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",each [Prod Date],each if [CQ]<>"-" then [CAPScrapWeekly.Prod Date] else [Prod Date],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Prod Date"}),

#"Changed Type4" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Prod Date", type date}}),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type4",{"CAPScrapWeekly.Prod Date"}),
#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "Month", each Date.MonthName([Prod Date])),

#"Added Custom7" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom3", "Date-Shift", each if DateTime.Time([Datetime])>=Time.From("7:00") and DateTime.Time([Datetime])<Time.From("19:00") then Date.ToText([Prod Date],"yyyy-MM-dd") & "-" & "D" else Date.ToText([Prod Date],"yyyy-MM-dd") & "-" & "N")
in
#"Added Custom7"

4 REPLIES 4
JCouture
Frequent Visitor

I only added those buffers this morning and haven't seen any noticeable change, to be honest. I'll give the video a watch and give an update if it changes anything

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Yeah I would remove those buffers. 

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

How many files are you combining? It is probably the merge step that is causing the slowness. A couple suggestions:

1. See if you can leverage incremental refresh as described in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMdg16yBKE

2. Is your query faster if you remove the Table.Buffer's?

Pat

Microsoft Employee
JCouture
Frequent Visitor

No significant changes with/without the buffers

And I should have specified that I am actually using Excel for this, whereas that video shows an example for Power Bi.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors