Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

edwardrmiles
Helper III
Helper III

Using the on-premise gateway with Dynamics CRM and on-prem SQL server

I'm trying to use the on-premise gateway for a model that has an on-premise SQL server and Dynamics 365 (online) data sources.

I have successfully installed both the personal and on-premise gateway, but I cannot switch between the two; the option to switch to "use a data gateway" is greyed out.  

I have added the SQL Server as a data source without issue. When I try to add Dynamics 365 (online) though I have to use a Web data source type as the OData data source type doesn't work - OAuth2 ins't an option, the credentials don't work if I use Basic and the URL isn't recognised if I use Windows. I'm not sure how important this is...

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
posterme
Frequent Visitor

Identically issue here - On-Prem SQL and CRM (Dynamics) in PBI Desktop - How configure the gateway correctly, that I can use it for the dataset online? 🙂

Thanks,

Philip

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In theory this should work, I have built a bunch of models that mix on-prem and cloud data sources. Not sure of what you are seeing specifically though. Unless I am totally losing it, but I'm pretty certain that I have built CRM Online dashboards that mash-up on-premises data but I will have to go back and check. I do know that I was having some issues with refreshing my CRM Online dashboard due to OAuth2 issues, that's in another thread somewhere.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

I have the same issue. My PBI Desktop dataset uses 2 on premises SQL server databases and one Online Dynamic365 CRM.

Is there any method to get it refreshed using a data gateway schedules to the published powerbi online datasets.

Thanks & Regards

Ranjith.PV (ranjith.pv@topazworld.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors