Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Unable to connect Excel Power Query to SAP BW OLAP

Hi team, 

I am trying to connect Excel/PQ to SAP BW multidimentional data source. I have installed the latest version of SAP BW ODBO driver (64 bit). Using Excel Get Data > From OLEDB option with the following connection string, I kept getting the following error.

(side note: I am able to connect Power BI to the same SAP BW server using SAP BW connector, and Excel using SAP AoF plug-in, both run ok, I just can't connect OLEDB)

Connection string: 
provider=MDrmSap.2;data source="_ xxx SAP - Business Warehouse (BW) Production";mode=Read;extended properties="CONNECTION_TYPE=0;SFC_CLIENT=xxx;SFC_LANGUAGE=EN;";mdx compatibility=0;subqueries=0

Capture.JPG

Appreciate your thoughts!

Best regards,

2 REPLIES 2
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Honestly, sounds like you are attempting something that is not supported in Excel. Even though Power Query in Excel is pretty close to Power Query in Power BI, it is not EXACTLY the same. You may have found one of those differences. 

Question back to you: is your 'Business Warehouse" connumicating with T-SQL language, or something else maybe, like MDX?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Todd, I was able to use MDX query in Power BI to pull data from our BW, so I was attemping to do the same with Excel using SAP ODBO driver ... not sure I am doing it correctly as I am new to this 😄

I found some old articles that seem it is feasible: 

https://supportuae.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/connecting-to-sap-bw-with-microsoft-excel/

https://help.sap.com/doc/saphelp_nw73ehp1/7.31.19/en-US/3a/431e02a4939240b510e851df092c50/content.ht...

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors