Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get data from a excel file hosted an an external sharepoint

Hi,

I guess my issue is similar to the one in this topic, but not sure... In essence, one of our supplier to hosting an excel file on their sharepoint site (www.insightportal.suppliername.com/sites/....).

I do have access to this sharepoint and to the file using my company email and a password that the supplier has provided me (different from my O365 one), however I cannot manage to access the file through Get Data / Sharepoint folder.

I've tried to solve this using similar cases I've seen, but ultimately the main question is: is it possible?

Thx for the clarification,

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, external user is not able to connect to SharePoint Folder in Power BI Desktop as you describe.

A workaround I can think of is to create an account in supplier's tenant for you and then you use this account to connect to the SharePoint Folder.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft,

thx for your input, however I am afraid that it still won't work: when I try to use the credentials I use to access the external SharePoint, I still get error messages... My only solution is to do manual copies of the file onto my company SharePoint (or to try to use Flow for this, but I end with the same issue, Flow won't work on an external SharePoint... 😞

@Anonymous,

Do you use the account which is in your supplier's tenant to sign in SharePoint?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors