Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dusio
Frequent Visitor

The logic of open data?

Good afternoon, please tell me the easiest way to create a dashboard. I created a dashboard from one semantic model, but when it came time to add new data to it, I realized that it was impossible. As a solution, lakehouse created a gen2 data stream and that's it.  But I can't open in this mode - data model?  (to edit a standard data model, open the appropriate data kiosk, data store, or SQL endpoint)sdf.png

So you might say, what's stopping you from creating all the actions in the SQL endpoint? Rather, what is more convenient to work as my first option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dusio 

Sorry I don't understand the language you show. I guess you cannot edit a semantic model which is generated when creating a dataflow Gen2, right? If so, please refer to the following limitation I have highlighted. The default semantic model generated automatically when creating a dataflow Gen2 is a Direct Lake dataset, so it is not supported for users to edit in the service. 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1705568475409.png

For the question what is the easiest way to create a report, the answer might be different according to your needs. 

• If you want to create a report locally on your computer, you can download Power BI Desktop to create a report.
  • If you want to create a report in the service directly, you can use Dataflow, Datamart or an integration of Dataflow & Datamart. 
  • You can prepare a semantic model locally by using Power BI Desktop, publish it to the service, then create reports from the semantic model directly. 
  • You can prepare data (ETL of data) with Dataflow in the service, then use Power BI Desktop to connect to the dataflow to create a report. 

To summarize, to create a report, you need to have a semantic model. To have a semantic model, you need to get data from the data sources and transform it to make it appropriate for a model. If you want to do all the jobs in the service, you can consider using Datamart or an integration of Dataflow & Datamart. 

Introduction to datamarts - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dusio 

Sorry I don't understand the language you show. I guess you cannot edit a semantic model which is generated when creating a dataflow Gen2, right? If so, please refer to the following limitation I have highlighted. The default semantic model generated automatically when creating a dataflow Gen2 is a Direct Lake dataset, so it is not supported for users to edit in the service. 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1705568475409.png

For the question what is the easiest way to create a report, the answer might be different according to your needs. 

• If you want to create a report locally on your computer, you can download Power BI Desktop to create a report.
  • If you want to create a report in the service directly, you can use Dataflow, Datamart or an integration of Dataflow & Datamart. 
  • You can prepare a semantic model locally by using Power BI Desktop, publish it to the service, then create reports from the semantic model directly. 
  • You can prepare data (ETL of data) with Dataflow in the service, then use Power BI Desktop to connect to the dataflow to create a report. 

To summarize, to create a report, you need to have a semantic model. To have a semantic model, you need to get data from the data sources and transform it to make it appropriate for a model. If you want to do all the jobs in the service, you can consider using Datamart or an integration of Dataflow & Datamart. 

Introduction to datamarts - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors