Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

FormigoJoao
Frequent Visitor

The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong ...

Hello ! 

I have been trying to get data about instagram tags using this: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/lisbon/?__a=1.
The link returns this JSON.
FormigoJoao_0-1618929765158.png

So far it has been working perfectly fine, it was refreshed a couple of times as well in the Desktop but then I went to the Service and I tried to refresh and it returned the following error: "The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server."

Afterwards I went back to the Desktop to try and understand what was happening and search on the internet but all of a sudden in the desktop it started returning the same error.

FormigoJoao_0-1618926491730.png

It has totally stoped working in the desktop. I've been trying to remake it all from new as well but hasn't worked out.

I have been searching but not much luck.

Anyone can help, has any tips?

Thank you in advance,

João

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello ! 

I tried a new query and also opened a new powerbi desktop file and it would always return the same. It started returning the error on the desktop after I published to the service and tried to refresh from there. (no ideia why)

However, I found something. By setting the code with a cookie on the header it would return the json again but then on the service it still wouldn't refresh, but then I installed the gateway and from there I was able to refresh everything just fine.

FormigoJoao_1-1619012298713.png

Honesty not quite sure what was happening or the problem was but I am still looking at it trying to understand, but so far found a workaround that way.

Thank you,

João

View solution in original post

Hi,

I faced the same issue and fixed it by following the steps below.

1) Open Power Query Editor.

2) Go to the first step (Source) in the table. Press the settings icon near the word 'Source'.

3) If the link is incorrect, replace the old link with the new/correct one and enter credentials, if necessary.

4) If the link is correct, replace the credentials.

You don't have to recreate your table. Just need to change the link and/or credentials and everything will go back to place.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

same issue i found , connecting to my excel table in sharepoint. while switching same file to online sharepoint. can anyone assist.

how can i switch report local to online connection?

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I tried that url with Json.Document(Web.Contents(...  and it worked as expected.  Not sure what you are seeing.  If you create a new query, do you still see the error?

mahoneypat_0-1618955790888.png

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hello ! 

I tried a new query and also opened a new powerbi desktop file and it would always return the same. It started returning the error on the desktop after I published to the service and tried to refresh from there. (no ideia why)

However, I found something. By setting the code with a cookie on the header it would return the json again but then on the service it still wouldn't refresh, but then I installed the gateway and from there I was able to refresh everything just fine.

FormigoJoao_1-1619012298713.png

Honesty not quite sure what was happening or the problem was but I am still looking at it trying to understand, but so far found a workaround that way.

Thank you,

João

Hi,

I faced the same issue and fixed it by following the steps below.

1) Open Power Query Editor.

2) Go to the first step (Source) in the table. Press the settings icon near the word 'Source'.

3) If the link is incorrect, replace the old link with the new/correct one and enter credentials, if necessary.

4) If the link is correct, replace the credentials.

You don't have to recreate your table. Just need to change the link and/or credentials and everything will go back to place.

Thank you!

Hi @FormigoJoao ,

Glad to hear the issue is solved. You can accept the suitable reply as solution, that way, other community members could easily find the answer when they get same issues.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors