Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Subtract Values in consecutive rows

Hello All,

Im working on a task where I need to subtract values from consecutive rows.

More specifically i have a spreadsheet (see attached) where Culumn C contains cumulative values for category A and Category B. I want to convert the cumulative values to record (row) values, per category. In the dataset every record (row) respresents a different hour.

I would like to replicate the calculation in Column D using Power Query. I tried the methodology of using 2 index columns and at the end merging the same dataset but it takes ages (lots of processing Power and RAM memory) and it never returns any results.

Merge is very expensive process in PowerBI and I would also like to mention that i want to do this calculation over 1.7 million rows.

If you think that there is any other alternative using Power Query that would be great.

Thanks

Themis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

@themistoklis - one more solution:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"DATETIME", type datetime}, {"CATEGORY", type text}, {"CUMULATIVE VIEWS", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"CATEGORY", Order.Ascending}, {"DATETIME", Order.Ascending}})),
    listCategory = List.Buffer(#"Sorted Rows"[CATEGORY]),
    listCumulative = List.Buffer(#"Sorted Rows"[CUMULATIVE VIEWS]),
    listCount = List.Count(listCategory),
    listCumulativeDifference =
        List.Skip(
            List.Generate(
                ()=> [varCategory = listCategory{0}, varDiff = 0, Counter = 0],
                each [Counter] <= listCount,
                each 
                    try
                        if [Counter] = 0 
                            then [varDiff = listCumulative{[Counter]}, Counter = [Counter]+ 1]
                        else if listCategory{[Counter]} = listCategory{[Counter] - 1}
                            then [varDiff = listCumulative{[Counter]} - listCumulative{[Counter] -1}, Counter = [Counter]+ 1]
                            else [varDiff = listCumulative{[Counter]}, Counter = [Counter]+ 1]
                    otherwise [Counter = [Counter] + 1],
                each [varDiff]
            ),
        ),
    CombinedColumns = 
        Table.ToColumns(#"Sorted Rows") & {listCumulativeDifference},
    BackToTable = 
        Table.FromColumns(
            CombinedColumns,
            Table.ColumnNames(#"Sorted Rows") & {"Difference"}
        )
in
    BackToTable

This will do 100,000 rows as fast as Excel can think about loading the .NET framework to process it. I suspect 1M rows would be equally fast.

this is in the original file link above so you can get the solution there. it has 100K rows for testing now.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

decumul:

let
decum=(tab)=>
let
    listCumulative = List.Buffer(tab[CUMULATIVE VIEWS]),
    listCount=List.Count(listCumulative),
    names=Table.ColumnNames(tab)&{"shift"},
    shift= List.Generate(
                ()=> [varDiff = listCumulative{0}, Counter = 0],
                each [Counter] < listCount,
                each [varDiff=listCumulative{Counter}-listCumulative{[Counter]},Counter=[Counter]+1],
                each [varDiff]
            ),
    ttc=Table.ToColumns(tab)
in 
   Table.FromColumns(ttc&{shift},names)

in decum

let
    Origine = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jZRBagMxDEWvEmYdiKWxR3Z2cY8RssgidFko3fT2HWtwodUXaGNIeBjP/9K73xdqF6ILJ2qnRFeSK/NyXt6eX6/3j8/v023/wdtxPM5/cXbwOg5Dr5heE6SzQ5f9KIYuSpOh235kQ2/47jz+WQ0tDi3wJRXTZd0Pm2DD9DYykf80JUzLoCkZ3GlTGAVOTplSUCjklCkwcHLKrDBwKg7dYChOmU1DMbRTZoNjRRWPFSWGT3HapAQz5OTcTmNWqsHJwRkOCzt9EsNPZadQWjd9kplcMFz9ICEOXqM4o5aQKpSGOSJVDFqjsisHVKF0hneD6epTWvZuMF1Kw41DqlC6RlXRp4ZaRBWDLgWNFjKF0hI1RZ/SCplC6Rw1hdISNcWgJUdN0afhQqYYdE1RUygtUVH06ayQJ5SuUU30XwmFNHHsMfxOpIljj+feP34A", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DATETIME = _t, CATEGORY = _t, #"CUMULATIVE VIEWS" = _t, #"HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)" = _t]),
    #"Modificato tipo" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Origine,{{"DATETIME", type datetime}, {"CATEGORY", type text}, {"CUMULATIVE VIEWS", Int64.Type}, {"HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(#"Modificato tipo", {"CATEGORY"}, {"all", each decumul(_)}),
    #"Tabella all espansa" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Raggruppate righe", "all", {"DATETIME", "CUMULATIVE VIEWS", "HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", "shift"}, {"DATETIME", "CUMULATIVE VIEWS", "HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", "shift"})
in
    #"Tabella all espansa"

edhans
Super User
Super User

Thanks @themistoklis - whenever I deal with any kind of list now, I almost always buffer the results through Table.Buffer or List.Buffer. 

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

@themistoklis - one more solution:

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"DATETIME", type datetime}, {"CATEGORY", type text}, {"CUMULATIVE VIEWS", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"CATEGORY", Order.Ascending}, {"DATETIME", Order.Ascending}})),
        List.Skip(
            List.Generate(
                each 
                    try
                        if [Counter] = 0 
                            then [varDiff = listCumulative{[Counter]} - listCumulative{[Counter] -1}, Counter = [Counter]+ 1]
                each [varDiff]
            ),
        ),
    CombinedColumns = 
    BackToTable = 
        Table.FromColumns(
            CombinedColumns,
        )
in
    BackToTable

This will do 100,000 rows as fast as Excel can think about loading the .NET framework to process it. I suspect 1M rows would be equally fast.

this is in the original file link above so you can get the solution there. it has 100K rows for testing now.

@edhans's query run faster and i noticed that the table.buffer function was the one that made a huge impact on the performance

Anonymous
Not applicable

let me have some doubts about this statement. In any case, for those wishing to try the different times of the two different solutions, you can use this script that I got from Ben Gribaudo's blog.

Obviously the results can vary a lot depending on many things. But you can test the performance of these scripts for different dimensions of the dataset

let

//Get the current time, which will be the query start time
    StartTime = DateTime.LocalNow(),
    //Make sure StartTime is evaluated just before we request data from Facebook
    trig = if StartTime<>null
         then 
             #"toAndFromCols LDS"
             else
         null,
    //Find the number of rows returned
    NumberOfRows = Number.ToText(Table.RowCount(trig)),
    //Get the current time, which will be the query end time
    EndTime = DateTime.LocalNow(),
    //Make sure PQ evvaluates all expressions in the right order:
    //first, get the Number of rows, which ensure that
    //the Source expression is evaluated, and in turn StartTime is evaluated
    //second, the EndTime is evaluated as part of the duration calculation
    Output = "Query analized " & NumberOfRows & " rows and took "& Duration.ToText(EndTime - StartTime)
in
    Output

let

//Get the current time, which will be the query start time
    StartTime = DateTime.LocalNow(),
    //Make sure StartTime is evaluated just before we request data from Facebook
    trig = if StartTime<>null
         then 
             #"listgenerate LDS"
             else
         null,
    //Find the number of rows returned
    NumberOfRows = Number.ToText(Table.RowCount(trig)),
    //Get the current time, which will be the query end time
    EndTime = DateTime.LocalNow(),
    //Make sure PQ evvaluates all expressions in the right order:
    //first, get the Number of rows, which ensure that
    //the Source expression is evaluated, and in turn StartTime is evaluated
    //second, the EndTime is evaluated as part of the duration calculation
    Output = "Query analized " & NumberOfRows & " rows and took " & Duration.ToText(EndTime - StartTime)
in
    Output

listGenerate LDS:

let
    Source = LDS,// Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],

List.Skip(
            List.Generate(
                each 
                    try
                        if [Counter] = 0 
                each [varDiff]
            ),
        ),
    CombinedColumns = 
    BackToTable = 
        Table.FromColumns(
            CombinedColumns,
        )
in
    BackToTable

toAndFromCols LDS:

let
    Origine = LDS,
    decumul =(cumulist)=> 
    let
        ttc=Table.ToColumns(cumulist),
        names=Table.ColumnNames(cumulist),
        tfc = Table.FromColumns(ttc&{{0}&cumulist[CUMULATIVE VIEWS]},names&{"shifted"}),
        ac = Table.AddColumn(tfc, "dec", each [CUMULATIVE VIEWS]-[shifted]),
        rl = Table.RemoveLastN(ac,1)
    in
        rl,

#"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(Origine, {"CATEGORY"}, {"all", each decumul(_)}),
    #"Tabella all espansa" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Raggruppate righe", "all", {"DATETIME", "CUMULATIVE VIEWS", "HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", "dec"}, {"DATETIME", "CUMULATIVE VIEWS", "HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", "dec"})
in
    #"Tabella all espansa"

LDS:

let
    Origine = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jZRBagMxDEWvEmYdiKWxR3Z2cY8RssgidFko3fT2HWtwodUXaGNIeBjP/9K73xdqF6ILJ2qnRFeSK/NyXt6eX6/3j8/v023/wdtxPM5/cXbwOg5Dr5heE6SzQ5f9KIYuSpOh235kQ2/47jz+WQ0tDi3wJRXTZd0Pm2DD9DYykf80JUzLoCkZ3GlTGAVOTplSUCjklCkwcHLKrDBwKg7dYChOmU1DMbRTZoNjRRWPFSWGT3HapAQz5OTcTmNWqsHJwRkOCzt9EsNPZadQWjd9kplcMFz9ICEOXqM4o5aQKpSGOSJVDFqjsisHVKF0hneD6epTWvZuMF1Kw41DqlC6RlXRp4ZaRBWDLgWNFjKF0hI1RZ/SCplC6Rw1hdISNcWgJUdN0afhQqYYdE1RUygtUVH06ayQJ5SuUU30XwmFNHHsMfxOpIljj+feP34A", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DATETIME = _t, CATEGORY = _t, #"CUMULATIVE VIEWS" = _t, #"HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)" = _t]),
    mt= Table.TransformColumnTypes(Origine,{{"DATETIME", type datetime}, {"CATEGORY", type text}, {"CUMULATIVE VIEWS", Int64.Type}, {"HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", Int64.Type}}),
    ttc=Table.ToColumns(mt),
    names=Table.ColumnNames(mt),
    largeDS= List.Transform(ttc, each List.Repeat(_,5000)),
    tfc=Table.FromColumns(largeDS,names)
in
    tfc

@Anonymous 

Just to mention that all scripts ran successfully (a few amendments where necessary). So users can use/test any of the scripts posted on this thread, based on their needs.

I agree that perfornance on Power Query running times is dependent on various things.

In my case i tried various things to improve performance. I also consulted the information from this site, which is actually good.

https://www.thebiccountant.com/speedperformance-aspects/

I would expect a pretty straight forward methodology to process the data (it is just a sorting and subtraction of consecutive rows), and without trial and error noone will ever find the best approach.

Although the query ran successfully I think I will also try python scripting

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Jimmy801 @Anonymous @edhans ,

Thank you for all your answers. I will test all 3 alternatives proposed and i will come back to you as soon as i get the results.

Themis

Anonymous
Not applicable

image.png

un esempio:

image.png

this is not always the case, the results are very variable.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @themistoklis 

i tried a similar approach that @Anonymous ... also because I didn't check out all answers allready given 🙂

I used the group-function and then added a new column with a shifted version of your cumulative column (all the code of the Table.TransformColumns could also be integrated into the group-function). Then subtracted both of them. Here a standalone-code 🙂

I would be currious how this code is performing

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hZQxbsMwEAS/Yqg2DO5JFEl3UZ5huHBhpAwQpPHvbbELZwOXBAZ3PM4tL5dJ7SSdIqkdks4q03H6vP3ev75/HoeP1yHW6Xr8i4XDKrDZYHMCtjgsA8sOa8BWgy0BrDisAKsGyzOwZrAVkyoZrBBzFgpGkLNQ8G5yFgreTc5CZVNnobKas9A4qbPQOIKzoMTLOQ1KqBfOgwSt4UQoMEY4Ewr2dSo0M19j363f720MO8ZVH7t2jPkaF2DHgk3HBejY8jaGm8/+uAAd4wjjAnSMH87of7OhRgx3LHPrnIXMas6Cyb6zsOLdEMOOsamzUFjNWTBfhLNQOYKzUHk3Z4HZRwg7BqfI4PZPpm0YxLY2DfueX58=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DATETIME = _t, CATEGORY = _t, #"CUMULATIVE VIEWS" = _t]),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"DATETIME", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"CATEGORY"}, {{"AllRows", each _, type table [DATETIME=datetime, CATEGORY=text, CUMULATIVE VIEWS=number]}}),
    AddHourlyViews = Table.TransformColumns
    (
        #"Grouped Rows",
        {
            {
                "AllRows", 
                (tbl)=> Table.AddColumn
                (
                    Table.FromColumns
                    (
                        Table.ToColumns(tbl) & {{0}&(List.RemoveLastN(tbl[#"CUMULATIVE VIEWS"]))},
                        Table.ColumnNames(tbl)&{"Shifted"}
                    ),
                    "Hourly Views",
                    (add)=> add[#"CUMULATIVE VIEWS"]-add[Shifted]
                )
            }
        }
    ),
    #"Expanded AllRows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(AddHourlyViews, "AllRows", {"DATETIME", "CUMULATIVE VIEWS", "Hourly Views"}, {"DATETIME", "CUMULATIVE VIEWS", "Hourly Views"})
in
    #"Expanded AllRows"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

try also this  (100k rows less than 3')

let
    Origine = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\xyz\OneDrive - TIM\MyD2020\BI\Cumulative_to_row_calculation.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Origine{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

decumul =(cumulist)=> 
    let 
    shift={0}&List.RemoveLastN(cumulist,1)
    in List.Transform({0..List.Count(cumulist)-1}, each cumulist{_}-shift{_}),

#"Intestazioni alzate di livello" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Modificato tipo" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Intestazioni alzate di livello",{{"DATETIME", type datetime}, {"CATEGORY", type text}, {"CUMULATIVE VIEWS", Int64.Type}, {"HOURLY VIEWS (POWER QUERY CALCULATION)", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(#"Modificato tipo", {"CATEGORY"}, {"all", each Table.FromColumns({[DATETIME],[CUMULATIVE VIEWS],decumul([CUMULATIVE VIEWS])},{"DATETIME","CUMULATIVE VIEWS","HV"})})
in
    #"Raggruppate righe"

Anonymous
Not applicable

this scheme takes less than 60 "to process 2000000 (2M) of rows

let
    Origine = List.Buffer(List.Transform({1..2000000}, each Number.Round(Number.RandomBetween(1,100)))),

#"Conversione in tabella" = Table.FromColumns({Origine,{0}&Origine}),
    #"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata" = Table.AddColumn(#"Conversione in tabella", "dec", each [Column1]-[Column2])
in
    #"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata"

edhans
Super User
Super User

See if this works for you @themistoklis 

I did 2 things:

1. sorted the data by category and time first (ensuring the right sort - the used Table.Buffer to prevent a change)
  2. If the category changes, it resets the count.
let
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    PreviousRow = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Added Index",
            "Difference",
            each
                let
                    varCurrentRow = [Index],
                    varCurrentCategory = [CATEGORY]
                in
                if varCurrentRow = 0 then [CUMULATIVE VIEWS]
                else if varCurrentCategory <> #"Added Index"[CATEGORY]{varCurrentRow - 1} then [CUMULATIVE VIEWS]
                else [CUMULATIVE VIEWS] - #"Added Index"[CUMULATIVE VIEWS]{varCurrentRow - 1},
                Int64.Type
            )
in
    PreviousRow

edhans_0-1612810450310.png

Here is your file back. You can of course delete the index column if you don't want it at this point.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors