Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JWO16
Frequent Visitor

Speed Up Power Query Refreshes (Data from DevOps)

I have a workbook with a query that hooks up to my data in DevOps for Work Items (approximately 10,000 records). The query brings back about 20 columns from the table (and expanded tables - e.g. projects), and has another dozen or so Custom Fields - e.g. the age of the item worked out in days, and others - if value = this then custom = 1, else = 0 type custom columns.

It does take quite a while to refresh, so am trying to find ways to shave seconds or minutes off the refresh time.  One thing I wondered, and was hoping someone could confirm, is whether the query may run better if I replaced all of the null values with zero (or some other value) for the fields that I'm bringing through. Or does Power Query not mind there being NULLs?

Another thing I wanted to try and establish was whether I'm right in creating these 12 columns, re-ordering all of the standard and custom columns, renaming the fields, filtering out some records depending on the project site they relate to, within the one query. I've tried to keep  everything together, so I'm not surprised it does take a few minutes to refresh, but just wondered if that was good practice with Power Query or whether I should split down into smaller chunks?

Appreciate that speeding up a query is the holy grail of Power Query, and there may not be anything that can be done, I'm just hoping that there may be options besides using 'Fast Load' (which I've already got turned on).

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you share the M code from the Advanced Editor of the query, we might be able to suggest some improvements.  Also, null vs 0 shouldn't matter.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I would reccomend you to start by running a diagnostic on the query to find where its the performance being affected at, the source? a step? evaaluation? etc.... theres a tool for this inside power query will give you a starting point to look and you can share here your run results for a better answer or asistence, check this link: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/querydiagnostics 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors