Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dandiel
Frequent Visitor

Something similar to excels CountIF in Query Editor

Hi there,

first of all I am very grateful because I have found a lot of very helpful posts in this forum already, but for my current case I could´t find anything suitable.

So what I would like to do within the query editor:

I have one table called "Cost Center":

Columns:

Cost element (text)

Cost Center (text) e.g. 0008/123456, dublicates existing

Partner Cost Center (text) e.g. 0007/456789 dublicates existing

Value (decimal number)

EDIT:

Sample.JPG

Next to these columns there are a coulple of other columns but I guess they are irrelevant.

Basicly what I aim for is a new colum E which tells me for each row if the Partner Cost Center is somewhere - not exlicitly in the same row - in the column "Cost Center". In a second step I would like to exclude these rows from my model using the standard filter option. 

So the new colum could say "true" or just count and I would then filter for 0.

In Excel I would use Countif(B:B;C1) and copy paste it for each row.

I have read a lot of posts about CountIf in Dax or CountX and list.contain in this forum but I couldn´t transfer it to my case.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks and regards

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Dandiel ,

yes sorry, my bad.

What you're trying to accomplish doesn't need any additional column. Just change the JoinKind in the merge-operation to: "Left Anti":

image.png

It automatically excludes all matches from the merged table.

See this blogpost for more details: https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/01/10/merge-operations-in-power-bi-power-query-part-3-left-anti...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Dandiel ,

Could you try this and let me know if you encounter any difficulty ? 

let
Source = Table,
#"JoinTables" = Table.NestedJoin(Source, {"PartnerCostCenter"}, Source, {"CostCenter"}, "newIsSomewhere", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"CountResult" = Table.AggregateTableColumn(#"JoinTables", "newIsSomewhere", {{"CostCenter", List.NonNullCount, "Count"}})
in
#"CountResult"

If you dont want to use the query editor just ask, I can explain you how to do it in a more simple way.

Regards, Etienne

Hi @Anonymous ,

thank you for your fast response!

I have tried your code. After I hit "done" in the advanced editor PBI has started to load. At the bottom right corner it started to count the mega bytes. After over 10 GB and 35min I canceled the calculation assuming something went wrong.

After that I deleted the #"CountResult" line in your code, hoping I can take a look at the joint table. So I clicked on a random "table" in the new column "newIsSomewhere" and PBI said it´s empty.

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

I don't think thats the reason but just in case for your information, the table consists of almost 200k rows.

And I don't mind using the editor or another option as long as it works properly 🙂

Thanks and regards, Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Dandiel ,

Indeed if it reached 10GB after 35mins it can't be a good solution Smiley Very Happy mybad then

I think this should work even better

let
    Source = Table,
    CostCenterToList = Table.ToList(Table.SelectColumns(Source,"Cost Center")),
#"Add Column" = Table.AddColumn(Source,"PartnerCostCenterExists", each List.Contains(CostCenterToList,[Partner Cost Center]))in #"Add Column"

What am i doing : 

Convert the column "Cost Center" into a list so we can use List.Contains for each value of "Partner Cost Center" to determine if it exists. 

The only thing with this solution is that you only have a result as true false and not a count but i think that's what you want. If you need a count just tell me !

I hope this will work for you, i didnt try it for a huge data amount.

Regards, 

Etienne

Hi @ImkeF 

thank you very much for your input. It works just fine!

Only really small disadvantage is that I cannot really see what happens / which rows were excluded nor can I filter for it. But I am happy J

And in addition I have learned quite a lot about the merge function via your link.

Hi @Anonymous 

thank you very much as well!

I have tried your new code. It creates the column within a couple of seconds just fine. Within the first 200 rows its only false. When I try to scroll down or filter using “load more” it starts to load. Again after around 30min of loading I stopped it. Your solution where I can actually see for each row if it needs to be excluded would be nice but performance wise the proposal of ImkeF seems to be the more efficient one.

In fact I hope I did everything correctly with your code so it´s not the case that your code is fine and the problem is with the user aka me.

So kudos to both of you and regards

Daniel

Hi @Anonymous ,

you would help us answerers if you could post some sample data with before data and desired result.

Possible reasons for empty results are deviations in cases (as Power Query is case sensitive) or unprintable characters (use Text.Trim and Text.Clean before).

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Dandiel
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ImkeF ,

I assume you wanted to address me with your post.

I have edited my first post and provided sample data.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

Daniel

Hi @Dandiel ,

yes sorry, my bad.

What you're trying to accomplish doesn't need any additional column. Just change the JoinKind in the merge-operation to: "Left Anti":

image.png

It automatically excludes all matches from the merged table.

See this blogpost for more details: https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/01/10/merge-operations-in-power-bi-power-query-part-3-left-anti...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors