Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbaisley
Helper I
Helper I

Slicer Select to create flag from other table

Hello team,

I have looked through multiple questions and responses but could not quite replicate the solutions given. The closest answer was this:

How to apply a slicer from one table to another ta... - Microsoft Power BI Community

However, my use case is slightly different. I will try my best to be articulate.

There are two data sets:

Data Set 1 - A primary list of local authorities with a single index

Data Set 2 - Nearest neighbour dataset with a repeated index by local authority

• I have a data set slicer for UK local authority from Data Set 1
  • I then have a data set that is the nearest neighbours to that local authority. Data set 2
  • I want to then have the visual that shows the local authority selected as well as its geographic neighbours as two groups (‘Selected LA’, Neighbour)
  • So if you select a authority the groups would dynamically change to show these new groups. Pulling from Data Set 2
  • Ideally this would be done so that two columns appear in the original Data Set 1

I unfortuently cannot upload a test document for a reproduciable example. But here are extracts of what each dataset looks like:

Data Set 1

Data Set 1Data Set 1

Data Set 2

Data Set 2Data Set 2

Output

Capture3.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
jbaisley
Helper I
Helper I

So I now have a list of neighbours, but I cannot seem to action that into any kind of filtering. Is there any way I can take those items above and make a binary flag in other data set for those names?

goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hi @jbaisley , although I do not any clear connection between both datasets what you can try to do is to add a TREATAS() to the measure on the visual you shared. Something in the lines of:

measure_name =
CALCULATE (
    Measure[Your calculation],
    TREATAS ( VALUES ( 'dataset1'[Authority Group] ), 'dataset2'[INDEX LAD22NM] )
)

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Thanks @goncalogeraldes. I don't have an existing measure as the data set is wide format I am calling out rows that match the authority name. It would be very time consuming to make a measure for each graphic and then a second for neighbour selection. Ideally it would be a binary flag in existing data meaning I could simply pull the column though as a group and then aggregate ethe values I need by that group then and there. If it helps to restate my question. How can I have a dynamic measure/ column appear in Dataset1 when a slicer selects an authority in DataSet 1, such that a group of authorities is selected from Dataset2 so that they can be used a legend in graphics. In theory the measure should just be a list of place names, should it not?

I may have solved it. Then use this measure as the legend? It gives me the right output. Its where it can be used as intended.Capture4.PNG

Measure = var  a = VALUES(Data Set 1[Authority])
return
IF(MAX(Data Set 2[Authority]) in a, 1,0)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors