Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tamirk
Frequent Visitor

Service and File Together in One Model

Hi,

I Have a model constructed with Power BI Desktop over salesforce data objects. I published it and schedule refresh which worked out just fine.

I also wanted to add some static data.

For instance, I have a country field in salesforce, and wanted to add a country group field according to my personal mapping. if I add this thourgh an excel local file, I can't use refresh. I tried to put it in one drive, but the desktop app doesn't seem to have a way to add it.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to approach this?

Thanks,

Tamir

5 REPLIES 5
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I have only tried it with excel powerquery many versions before..not sure if anything changed..
Double check that the folder in OneDrive plus the query settings must be public..( probably you have done this )..
Konstantinos Ioannou
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Have you installed Personal DMG in order to schedule the local excel file? 

In my opinion best is to store the excel file in onedrive (as you did ) but you need to import the data  in PBI Desktop from excel using "From Web" and provide the onedrive path..This way you can refresh the excel file & salesforce since all data sources will be in online (cloud)..( not test with salesforce)

P.S. Do not just copy paste the path from browser - needs a to tweak it a bit - reference this

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Power-BI-Desktop-import-data-from-excel-...

Konstantinos Ioannou

No I haven't. I just want to use the free version for now and not go pro.

I see the web source option, but I don't get how to format the link - I've made a few trys and I keep getting a table in Power BI with the fields: Kind, Name, Children, Text

The link you provided is about sharepoint and I couldn't find something for me there.

Thanks,

T

The link is for shrepoint & for OneDrive Bussiness which use sharepoint and the path structure is the same..If you refer to OneDrive personal check this:

http://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2014/8/17/using-power-query-to-get-data-from-an-excel-file-in-onedri...

Konstantinos Ioannou

Hi,

Thanks for that. Indeed I'm using a personal one drive.

However, the result inside the desktop app is not as the screenshots in the link. I only see the "Document" sheet and the fields like before:  Kind, Name, Children, Text

T

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors