Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jdballard30
Helper II
Helper II

Salesforce and large query

I have Salesforce.com as a data source. It's querying a large table that in the last few days went from several thousand rows to almost 500,000 (which was expected.) Now, when I refresh Power BI it's taking forever and occasionally timing out on the query of that object. (The object is Task if you're curious.) I'm querying the table and immediately filtering to the last five days, but that's not helping because I'm assuming Power BI is returning everything and taking forever to do it, and then filtering to the last five days. Assuming that's the case, is there any way to force Power BI to make the API request include the filter, so Salesforce does the filtering. I really only need the last few days of data returned to me, and without that filter, it's taking forever.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jdballard30,

Using the built-in salesforce connector, it is only possible to filter data after importing the whole table in Power BI Desktop. There is a similar idea about adding salesforce query in Power BI , please vote it up.

In your scenario,  you can check the following options to work around this issue.

1. You can contact Salesforce support to check if it is possible to add filter in Salesforce Rest API. You can use Web connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the API with filtered data.

2. Create a specific report in Salesforce and connect to the Salesforce report in Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jdballard30,

Using the built-in salesforce connector, it is only possible to filter data after importing the whole table in Power BI Desktop. There is a similar idea about adding salesforce query in Power BI , please vote it up.

In your scenario,  you can check the following options to work around this issue.

1. You can contact Salesforce support to check if it is possible to add filter in Salesforce Rest API. You can use Web connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the API with filtered data.

2. Create a specific report in Salesforce and connect to the Salesforce report in Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, Lydia. I had gone ahead with the report idea. I'd considered using the web connector, but I thought I recalled reading somewhere that web connectors couldn't use a scheduled refresh. I'm not sure if that was for a prior version, and it's now possible, but being able to set up a scheduled refresh is required in this case.

@jdballard30,

It is possible to set schedule refresh in this case.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors