Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Mateja
Helper II
Helper II

Roling 12 month, Month and Year filters

Hey everyone,

I needs to recostruct the dashboard in my company. I can only see the dashboard on the Power BI service and cant download the .pbix. 
A date table was made with Rolling 12 months and some other fileds that could be used as filters (see the picture). I can see that these are not measures but are imported or most likely created in Power Query (as the data is imported from excel file that has 3 sheets imported in Power BI).
Is there a code one could write that will behave dynamic and reflect the actual values for these 3 presented  approaches (as these values change every month). 

I just started working and learning DAX so M is still out of my reach 

Thank you!

Mateja_0-1650455331124.png

Mateja_1-1650455360147.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

On yes, it is very easy to do with Power Query. You just select the column that has the date, go to the Add Column, select the Date group and choose the type of date column you'd like to add. 

jennratten_0-1650546934134.png

View solution in original post

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mateja ,

If you want to dynamically set a text flag for each year-month based on current date, please create a measure:

Flag = 
var _diff=DATEDIFF(MAX('Table'[Month_Year]),TODAY(),MONTH)
return SWITCH(TRUE(), _diff=0,"Current", _diff>0 && _diff<=12,"Rolling 12 months", _diff>=13, "Out(Past)","Out(Future)")

Eyelyn9_0-1650868042675.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mateja ,

If you want to dynamically set a text flag for each year-month based on current date, please create a measure:

Flag = 
var _diff=DATEDIFF(MAX('Table'[Month_Year]),TODAY(),MONTH)
return SWITCH(TRUE(), _diff=0,"Current", _diff>0 && _diff<=12,"Rolling 12 months", _diff>=13, "Out(Past)","Out(Future)")

Eyelyn9_0-1650868042675.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, a very nice approach!

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - here are some fantastic references for the items you requested, which include sample files that you can download.

Rolling 12 Months Average

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/rolling-12-months-average-in-dax/ 

Time Patterns

https://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/ 

Creating a Simple Date Table Using DAX

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/ 

Hi jennratten

Thank you for the answer! I will def bookmar these.
I know about possibilities of these calculation in Dax but is it possible to make them in Power Query, so they are dynamic and update with refresing of the database. For example the Month Class calculation: The Data Month is the current month and so on and these info are stored in a column that changes every month because the months change.
I think that these calculation are a part of a table, as a column as I cannot see the measure icon that is present in Power Bi.

On yes, it is very easy to do with Power Query. You just select the column that has the date, go to the Add Column, select the Date group and choose the type of date column you'd like to add. 

jennratten_0-1650546934134.png

Thank you! That helped to make different columns. 

But if I wanted to make column that is dynamic and where it would say Last 12 month for the months that are just before the one we are in and for all the other it would say OUT/NO how would you do it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors