Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nico_Beckers
Frequent Visitor

Remove & add certain data in load

Hello All, 

On a daily base I get an excel extract from the past week. What I then need to do is remove the past 6 days from my existing data file and paste the 7 days I received in the latest extract. This because the data can change during the week.

So data 11 =>17th of the month gets deleted, and replaced with 11-18th of the month I received in my new file.

Day after, 12 to 18 removed, 12 to 19 added from the newly received file, rince and repeat.

Is there a way to automate this in power Query instead of updating the 'big' excel file daily?

Many thanks in advance!

KR,

Nico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

1. Ingest all files using the combine function, but make sure some relevant file-level date stamp remains (it auto-generates a "remove other columns" step before the expand, you can edit this).
  2. Reference this table into another table. Keep only the file-level date stamp and the by-row date stamp.
  3. Group-by the by-row-level date, aggregate max file-level date. This gives you a list: for every data date X, which file Y contains the most most recent version.
  4. Inner merge this resulting list on both dates. This will drop anything that's not in your list of selected rows.

Coding the extract date into the file name and then parsing it out is more reliable, as certain operations can futz with both the created and modified dates.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

1. Ingest all files using the combine function, but make sure some relevant file-level date stamp remains (it auto-generates a "remove other columns" step before the expand, you can edit this).
  2. Reference this table into another table. Keep only the file-level date stamp and the by-row date stamp.
  3. Group-by the by-row-level date, aggregate max file-level date. This gives you a list: for every data date X, which file Y contains the most most recent version.
  4. Inner merge this resulting list on both dates. This will drop anything that's not in your list of selected rows.

Coding the extract date into the file name and then parsing it out is more reliable, as certain operations can futz with both the created and modified dates.

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nico_Beckers ,

I'd just dump every Excel file into a network or SharePoint folder and, in PBI Desktop, use the Folder/SharePoint Folder connector to that folder.

Once connected, choose the 'Combine & Transform' option.

In Power Query, you can then adjust the standard combined query code at the Source step to filter the [Folder path] column to your document storage location, and also adjust the Remove Columns step later in the query to keep the [Date Created] column:

BA_Pete_0-1702018151151.png

Once you've completed your generic transformations in the Transform Sample File helper query, you'll be able to filter or group the main output query to only keep the row that has the latest [Date Created] value for each unique combination of dimensions.

...or, even simpler, just filter the [Date Created] column at the Source step something like this:

Date.From([Date created]) >= Date.AddDays(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()), - 7)

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors