Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Katre

Python Script in Power Query

Hello everyone,

I want to use Python in power query to transform data before create dashboard in Power BI. But I get "Access is denied" error. I installed Python and Pandas and check them in local, they work. I did all settings in Power BI. But i didn't run any python code in power query. I also checked this documentatine--> Use Python in Power BI Power Query Editor - Power BI | Microsoft Learn, but I still get same error.

Could you give me some advice to deal this issue?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ShrutikGumate
Employee
Employee

Hi @Katre ,

Here are the few suggestions for troubleshooting the problem -

1. Ensure that Python is installed correctly and the installation path is added to the system's PATH environment variable. You can verify this by opening a command prompt or terminal and typing python --version to see if Python is recognized.

2. Additionally you would need to install few modules to run a python Script in Power BI Deskopt which I have been using i.e. pandas, pyarrow, matplotlib.

3. Check the permissions of the folders where Power BI and Python are installed, as well as any folders where data sources are located or where Power BI saves temporary files. Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to access and modify these folders.

4. Double-check the Python environment configuration in Power BI to ensure that the correct Python executable path is specified. Go to "File" > "Options and settings" > "Options" > "Python scripting" in Power BI Desktop to verify the Python environment settings.

If you like my Solution consider giving a upvote..

Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ShrutikGumate
Employee
Employee

Hi @Katre ,

Here are the few suggestions for troubleshooting the problem -

1. Ensure that Python is installed correctly and the installation path is added to the system's PATH environment variable. You can verify this by opening a command prompt or terminal and typing python --version to see if Python is recognized.

2. Additionally you would need to install few modules to run a python Script in Power BI Deskopt which I have been using i.e. pandas, pyarrow, matplotlib.

3. Check the permissions of the folders where Power BI and Python are installed, as well as any folders where data sources are located or where Power BI saves temporary files. Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to access and modify these folders.

4. Double-check the Python environment configuration in Power BI to ensure that the correct Python executable path is specified. Go to "File" > "Options and settings" > "Options" > "Python scripting" in Power BI Desktop to verify the Python environment settings.

If you like my Solution consider giving a upvote..

Thank you!

Hi ShrutikGumate,

Thank you for your reply and advice. As you mentioned, I realized that I don't have some permisions of some folders  where Power BI and Python are installed. Thank you for your time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors