Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ganira
Regular Visitor

Power query - changing entries and Big Data

Hello, everybody.

I have CSV files that upon opening have some irregular IDs' entries (all IDs should have 17 characters but after filtering them by length I found some that had an irregular amount of characters - 14, 15, 18). 

However, when I created a Power Query, suddenly all the ride IDs became normal and other odd calculations were fixed too (like time(duration) became normal instead of 0:00:00).

Question 1: Why IDs become normal (example "326DCA34ABA1FAHHD") in PowerQuery but are in the form of "8.28E+22" upon opening? 

Question 2: I have multiple CSV files with hundreds of thousands of rows in each file, I need to repeat the same analysis steps for each one of them and create the same pivot tables. I could run the same VBA code for each one of them, but that would take a lot of time. I am just a beginner, so I am not sure whether or not I should use Data Models for that, create a connection to Power Bi, or what. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Question 1:  Power Query is messing with you and (wrongly) guessing column types. Tell it to not do that (in the options)

Question 2:  Whatever you are more comfortable with. Could be VBA, could be Power Query, could be the data model/DAX.  Try it out.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Question 1:  Power Query is messing with you and (wrongly) guessing column types. Tell it to not do that (in the options)

Question 2:  Whatever you are more comfortable with. Could be VBA, could be Power Query, could be the data model/DAX.  Try it out.

Thank you so so much! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors