Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

krutec
Regular Visitor

Power Query beginner question

I have some data I download into Excel every week, then I clean it up and send it out to a person in our office.  The format is always the same, but the data changes from week to week.  I imported the data into the Power Query Editor, transformed it, named the query "Query #1", then loaded the data into Excel and sent it out.  Worked fine.  The following week I wanted to use Query #1 again, but I didn't know how to access it.  I tried simply opening the prior week's file and the query was there, but when I imported the new data into Power Query, there were two queries that showed up.  One was Query #1, which showed the transformed data from the prior week.  One was the new query which showed the new, untransformed data.  Not sure how to apply the original query or to tell Power Query to always use the original query.  Any help would be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
krutec
Regular Visitor

HotChilli, thank you for your help.  I eventually got a book and worked it out.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
krutec
Regular Visitor

HotChilli, thank you for your help.  I eventually got a book and worked it out.  

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Power Query has the set of Applied Steps on the right hand side.

So, if you select Query1 (in the list of queries on the left hand side) , click on the Source step in Applied Steps, you should see in the formula bar a power query instruction which includes a filepath.  Edit the filepath to be the location and name of the new file, and select the tick icon to confirm.

If the file is similar format with the same transforms, it should work OK.

----

Longer term, you might want to investigate using Get files from folder, and I would encourage you to work through a tutorial from microsoft powerbi site. 

I tried your suggestion.  I ended up with one sheet showing my original transformed data and another sheet showing the new, untransformed data.  I copied the path, then just clicked out into open space, then loaded clicked Close and Load.  This may not have worked because I didn’t know what you meant by “Select the tick icon to confirm”. 

Regarding the Get Files from Folder option, I tried that prior to my post.  The data in the file didn’t display in the Power Query editor.  What did display was the name of the file, its extension, dates accessed, modified, and created, as well as the path.  I used the Get Files from Workbook option because it was suggested to me by way of a response to a question I posted on My Online Training Hub's YouTube channel.  If there is a specific tutorial on the PowerBI site to assist me, I like to check it out.  Can you send the link? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors