Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rsbin
Super User
Super User

Power Query Transform Fields into Records

I have imported a table into Power BI like shown below: The data comes from a CRM application.

Record No.Project AmountContract Start DateMilestone #1 - # of DaysMilestone 1 - PercentMilestone #2 - # of DaysMilestone #2 - % of $Milestone #3 - # of DaysMilestone #3 - % of $Milestone #4 - # of DaysMilestone #4 - % of $Milestone #5 - # of DaysMilestone #5 - % of $
16360000004/1/202002030206020902012020
14851401/1/202003090301203015010  
1560683410/1/201903090301203015010  

I need the data formatted as follows:

Record No.Project AmountContract Start DateMilestone# of DaysPercent
1636000004/1/20201020%
1636000004/1/202023020%
1636000004/1/202036020%
1636000004/1/202049020%
1636000004/1/2020512020%
14851401/1/20201030%
14851401/1/202029030%
14851401/1/2020312030%
14851401/1/2020415010%
1560683410/1/20191030%
1560683410/1/201929030%
1560683410/1/2019312030%
1560683410/1/2019415010%

I am hoping one of you Power Query experts out there can provide some guidance.  Each record can have anywhere from 1 to 6 Milestones.  I have shown just a select sample.  Once I have it in this format, I can add Days to Contract Start and calculate the Revenue for the Month.  I started down the path of creating a separate Table for each Milestone, I thought I would reach out to see if there might be a cleaner and elegant solution.

Much thanks and appreciation for your guidance and support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

If 'Milestone 1 - Percent' column heading is changed to follow the pattern of the other % columns then this will do it 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("nY1LCsAgDESvUlwLmi96FvH+11CnJaXbBjI8CPMyRiKXlJNXzCYtVLjywbMACfKgHkT84Mxbp5ubkeLydUn05O3daMgTFxYqw0NvojhCRv2HbC4=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Record No." = _t, #"Project Amount" = _t, #"Contract Start Date" = _t, #"Milestone #1 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #1 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #2 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #2 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #3 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #3 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #4 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #4 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #5 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #5 - % of $" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Record No.", "Project Amount", "Contract Start Date"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Value", Int64.Type}, {"Contract Start Date", type date}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 13}, false), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Position",{{"Record No.", Int64.Type}, {"Project Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Attribute.1", type text}, {"Attribute.2", type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type1", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type1"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value", List.Sum),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Record No.", Order.Descending}, {"Attribute.1", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

A little bit of tidying still to do (filter out null values and rename columns as required)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rsbin , 

You also could refer to my sample for details.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lY1RCgAhCAWvsvQdlGlSZ4nuf4307eKynyv6GBDHtRIpp5y0ooykUGm1OfoAOEiDZhC1B3c2nRiPToLN18Vxx+/djR3pcWGg6niogwVLyGj+kXnvfQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Record No." = _t, #"Project Amount" = _t, #"Contract Start Date" = _t, #"Milestone #1 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone 1 - Percent" = _t, #"Milestone #2 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #2 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #3 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #3 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #4 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #4 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #5 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #5 - % of $" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Record No.", Int64.Type}, {"Project Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Contract Start Date", type date}, {"Milestone #1 - # of Days", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone 1 - Percent", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #2 - # of Days", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #2 - % of $", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #3 - # of Days", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #3 - % of $", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #4 - # of Days", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #4 - % of $", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #5 - # of Days", Int64.Type}, {"Milestone #5 - % of $", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Record No.", "Project Amount", "Contract Start Date"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Attribute.1", type text}, {"Attribute.2", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Attribute.1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1.1", "Attribute.1.2", "Attribute.1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Attribute.1.1", type text}, {"Attribute.1.2", type text}, {"Attribute.1.3", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type2","#","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Attribute.1.2"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","% of $","Percent",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Attribute.2"}),
    #"Pivoted Column1" = Table.Pivot(#"Replaced Value1", List.Distinct(#"Replaced Value1"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Pivoted Column1", List.Distinct(#"Pivoted Column1"[Attribute.1.1]), "Attribute.1.1", "Attribute.1.2"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Attribute.1.3"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

If 'Milestone 1 - Percent' column heading is changed to follow the pattern of the other % columns then this will do it 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("nY1LCsAgDESvUlwLmi96FvH+11CnJaXbBjI8CPMyRiKXlJNXzCYtVLjywbMACfKgHkT84Mxbp5ubkeLydUn05O3daMgTFxYqw0NvojhCRv2HbC4=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Record No." = _t, #"Project Amount" = _t, #"Contract Start Date" = _t, #"Milestone #1 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #1 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #2 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #2 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #3 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #3 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #4 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #4 - % of $" = _t, #"Milestone #5 - # of Days" = _t, #"Milestone #5 - % of $" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Record No.", "Project Amount", "Contract Start Date"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Value", Int64.Type}, {"Contract Start Date", type date}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 13}, false), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Position",{{"Record No.", Int64.Type}, {"Project Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Attribute.1", type text}, {"Attribute.2", type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type1", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type1"[Attribute.2]), "Attribute.2", "Value", List.Sum),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Record No.", Order.Descending}, {"Attribute.1", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

A little bit of tidying still to do (filter out null values and rename columns as required)

Hello @HotChilli 

Thanks again for your response.  I'm finally at the point where I am trying to integrate your code into my existing Query Editor.  However, I am stuck.  I create my data table with the following line of code:

= let
Source = Table.SelectRows(#"OpptMaster v1", each [RevenueType]="Incremental" and [ContractStartDate]<>null and [ProjectAmount]<>0 and [Stage_Sort]<>8 and [Stage_Sort]<>7)
in
Source

My next step is to incorporate your code.  I do not know where or how to combine your solution with the above.   I still have much to learn, but hoping you could provide me with a little guidance.  Any help is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Hi @HotChilli 

Great News!  Got it to work.   Thanks so much for the guidance and helpful advice.

Stay safe wherever you may be!

Kindest Regards,

You have two choices:

1) Learn the general idea of the algorithm. That is, use the sample you have shown.  Change the column heading of "Milestone 1 - Percent" to be the same format as the other % headings.  Import it or copy it using 'Enter Data.'

Paste my code into the advanced editor after the "source = " line.

Debug the errors and follow what the algorithm does.  Once it's working and you follow it,  use the same ideas on your real data.

or

2) Copy everything from my code (apart from the "source =" line) and paste it in to your code (in the advanced editor).  Delete the "in Source" line from your code.  You will immediately get errors.  You then have to debug each error (which will be based on column names or data layout). Go from step to step making each one work

Thank you @HotChilli.

I will give this a shot and let you know I make out.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors