Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ash12486

Power Query Error - Duplicating Queries

Hi All, 

I've been working with PQ for several years now, and this is the first time I'm having this issue.  I don't even have a lot to go on to even be able to ask a question, but I'll try to do my best.

Background info...

I have a PQ that I setup to help one of our departments audit data between two different system.  There are multiple tables on the workbook that are being used as queries, and it is also pulling excel files from local drives with other source data.  The user's job is to paste data into a table (based on which system's data they are auditing), and save a new copy of one of the source files, then refresh the query. 

Issue...

I cannot find a pattern of what could cause this... but one day it is working as expected, then the next the user gets an error message like the following...

ash12486_2-1715786104245.png

I understand why it can't find "Audit Results" which is because the query structure has completed changed and it has seemingly created copies of all the queries.

First image is the orginial structure, and the second is how it looks after this issue happens. 

ash12486_0-1715786062544.png   ash12486_1-1715786073042.png

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this to happen?  TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ash12486

Hi Jing, thank you for responding!  You are correct, I forgot to mention in my original post that everything was able to pretty quickly be fixed by removing the (#).  But the root issue was driving me crazy, because it was happening more and more frequently.

Upon further investigation, I believe I’ve identified the root cause of this issue. I wanted to share my findings in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

During a walkthrough with the user, it became clear that they were copying audit results to another worksheet without pasting the data as values. Each time they did this, they inadvertently copied the query as well. Although we’ve only recently deleted those query copies, it seems quite plausible that this was the underlying reason for the recurring issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ash12486

Hi Jing, thank you for responding!  You are correct, I forgot to mention in my original post that everything was able to pretty quickly be fixed by removing the (#).  But the root issue was driving me crazy, because it was happening more and more frequently.

Upon further investigation, I believe I’ve identified the root cause of this issue. I wanted to share my findings in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

During a walkthrough with the user, it became clear that they were copying audit results to another worksheet without pasting the data as values. Each time they did this, they inadvertently copied the query as well. Although we’ve only recently deleted those query copies, it seems quite plausible that this was the underlying reason for the recurring issue.

Thank you for sharing your findings! 

v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ash12486 

I've never had this issue either. This looks weird. Based on the number at the end of each query name, it seems that each query is not duplicated the same number of times. If these queries were only duplicated, removing the ending numbers in query names should bring everything back to work again. 

Best Regards,
Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors