Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fern_21
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI doesn't import All Records from SharePoint List with Item-level Permissions

Hi all,

I have a SharePoint list with Item-level Permissions; in this way, each user can only interact with their own records. The owner of the Sharepoint list has full control on it and he is able to see and edit all items. Until 03/14/2024, I had the situation I showed you before: reading the list via Power BI and setting the connection with the owner account, I was able to read all the records in the list. 

From the 15th, the situation changed and I have this problem: on Power BI, only the records created by the owner account are import and those created by other users aren't visible.

Why doesn't Power BI inherit the Cancel checkout permissions anymore? How can I solve this issue?

Thanks,

Fern_21

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Update:
    SharePoint team applied the mitigation, and the issue has been resolved.

Please check. If there are still issues, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly--How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum--China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Update:
    SharePoint team applied the mitigation, and the issue has been resolved.

Please check. If there are still issues, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly--How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum--China Power BI User Group

For me the issue is resolved , thank you by support

Gergoe
Frequent Visitor

For me the issue is resolved by now.

Same here. Looks like it works as it should now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem here... The issue started today on our tenant, probably a late roll out.

This happens with lists AND libraries not inheriting parent web permissions OR using the item level setting ("Read Items that were created by the user", "Create items and edit items that were created by the user") is not loaded into the model, even using an "almighty acc" for the connection.

Is this an issue, "a new feature" or a new setting?

Gergoe
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here, independent of PBI Desktop version, same issue happens with Excel Power Query, must be a recent change made to the SPO connector. Please fix urgently!

TomsFabric
Regular Visitor

Same issue, this needs sorting fast. Tried many ways as other posters. We have many dahsboards and teams using this and it is massivley impacting our business. MS needs to get this sorted with a mater of urgency,

crisitan

I have the same problem from 15/03/2024, I am using connections 1.0 and 2.0 , I have same issue. I have full access control but it now work properly using power query on Excel, Power Bi and Dataflow.

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Fern_21 ,

Does Power BI here mean Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service?
Could you provide a version of Power BI? 
Have you or the organization done anything before this that might affect permissions?

I will try to investigate and reproduce the problem.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

I've the same problem in both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service.
I'm using the Version: 2.124.2028.0 64-bit (December 2023) but also reports in PROD Environment for years have this problem.

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Hmm you scared me for a second so I went back and checked some of my reports where I use this same feature and they are all still working normally. Are you sure that the account you are using has full control permission on the list? I'm not familiar with "cancel checkout" in the way you mention, but full control permission should bypass the item-level permissions. 

I didn't have any problems for three years and I have full control permission on the list. 
On Sharepoint it is ok, but on Power BI I have this problem now.

Are you using the 2.0 or 1.0 connector? 

I'm using Sharepoint list. I also tried using both Sharepoint Online List 1.0 and 2.0 but I didn't fix the problem yet. 

It seems like multiple people are having the issue, you might submit a Microsoft support ticket and link them to this thread so that they know other people are having the same issue. That will usually get it escalated. 

Yes, I opened a ticket to Microsoft and they’re trying to solve the issue. 

Annnnnd it's happening for my reports now too. Guess it was a staggered rollout. 😐

Hi all,

The engineers confirmed that this was an issue.  I will update here if there is any new news.

They are currently taking steps to minimize the scope of the problem.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

did they provide you with any ETA? 

I have the same problem. Has anyone solved it?

@jasonwhowell 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors