Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mckinzie

Power BI, data refresh, and archived data source data.

I haven't installed Power BI yet, but I think the answer to my question will help me in building my datasets.

My goal is to connect Power BI to our on-premise databases.  Data in these databases get archived.  

My question is for what happens after I have made the database connection and data has been coming into Power BI from the database.

What happens to data in Power BI that has been archived in the data source when a data refresh is triggered?  Is it removed in Power BI? Does it stay and the new data is appended at the bottom of the dataset?

I've searched on this and have not found anything.  I hope my question isn't too early considering I haven't been able to use the software yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rémi
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

When you trigger a refresh, it will download all of the new data and delete old.

At this moment, it's not possible to have an historic of your data into power bi.

If you want something like that, you have to configure it into your source, then Powe BI will extract the data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rémi
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

When you trigger a refresh, it will download all of the new data and delete old.

At this moment, it's not possible to have an historic of your data into power bi.

If you want something like that, you have to configure it into your source, then Powe BI will extract the data.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors