Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Padding a number at beginning and end

Hi all,

I have been tasked with formatting data for import into a legacy system that requires the values in any given field to be a fixed length.  This is particular challenge with the number fields because they need 11 characters in front of the decimal and 4 after.  Thus 1.23 needs to be converted to 00000000001.2300.

I will also say that I have been working with Power Query for about 24 hours so if there is a better method than what I have in mind I would love to hear it.

My plan is:

Use Text.BeforeDelimiter to extract the value prior to the "."

Use Text.PadStart to add the required leading 0's

Table.TransformColumns(#"Navigation 1", {{"cr6e3_number1", each Text.PadStart(Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.From(_), ".", 0))11,"0", type text}})

Use Text.AfterDelimiter to extract the value after the "."

Use Text.PadEnd to add the required following 0's

Table.TransformColumns(#"Navigation 1", {{"cr6e3_number1", each Text.PadEnd.(Text.AfterDelimiter(Text.From(_), ".", 0),4,"0"), type text}})

Combine 1, . and 3.

I can add the decimal to the end of 1 using Text.Insert.  I don't know how to add 2 at the end.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Assuming, your column is named Data, use below formula

= Text.PadStart(Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),11,"0")&"."&Text.PadEnd(Text.AfterDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),4,"0")

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQzMlaK1QEyjIxN9CwszcEcc0tjM0tjcz1DMM/YxEQpNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.PadStart(Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),11,"0")&"."&Text.PadEnd(Text.AfterDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),4,"0"))
in
    #"Added Custom"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Assuming, your column is named Data, use below formula

= Text.PadStart(Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),11,"0")&"."&Text.PadEnd(Text.AfterDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),4,"0")

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQzMlaK1QEyjIxN9CwszcEcc0tjM0tjcz1DMM/YxEQpNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.PadStart(Text.BeforeDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),11,"0")&"."&Text.PadEnd(Text.AfterDelimiter(Text.From([Data]),"."),4,"0"))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors