Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blm001
Advocate I
Advocate I

PB Service Query error : Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0

Hello,

I have looked for hours for a solution, but no luck.  I have also read many posts on the site, but no fixed to the issue.

The issue:

On the PBI Service (Desktop works perfectly), when it tries to refresh the data (manually or automatically) an error is given:

DataSource.NotFound: Excel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.

The linked site does not provide the solution either.

• The query's source is a Sharepoint Online folder.  
  • The files are all .xls. They are automatically sent there by another system. The other system can only generate .xls (not xlsx).
  • In the query fails at "Excel.Workbook ([Content))

It seems that the PBI SERVICE cannot read .XLS files.  

Is there a fix for this?

PS

I have tested changing the files to .xlsx, just by renaming the file.  That does not work.

I have also tested opening the files and saving them as .xlsx. This works, but that would take too much time as we have 100s of files and we will get a new one each day.  We need an automated solution.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @blm001 ,

As far as I know, currently .xls file would use Access engine in Power BI.

Please try to download the corresponding bit version of Access Engine as the error message mentioned.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

Here are the simliar articles that you can refer:

1. Fix Power Bi error microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0 with these solutions 
  2. How to fix Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine 

In addition, if the error occurs when you attempt to open an .XLS file (an Excel 97-2003 workbook), you can avoid using the Access Database Engine by opening the .XLS file in Excel, and saving it as an XLSX file.

To convert multiple .xls files to .xlsx files, you can refer:

1. How To Convert Multiple Xls Files To Xlsx Files In Excel? 
  2. batch-convert-xls-to-xlsx 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, but on my local machine it works fine.  The issue is on Microsofts' Power BI Service.

In other words the error is given on refreshing on the Service, not loclally on my machine. How can I download and install anything on Micorsofts Service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors