Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SOppeneer
Frequent Visitor

Obtain value from string with complex criteria in Power Query

Hi Everyone,

I have a dataset with material descriptions and their purchased quantities, where some material descriptions mention a percentage of "pure material" (e.g. without water). I would like to create a custom column multiplying the purchased quantity with the provided percentage to obtain the "pure quantity". The tricky part is obtaining the percentage as the material descriptions are free text and as such can be provided in several ways. Examples: 

... ##% ...

... ##.#% ...

... (##%) ...

... ##-##% ...

... ## % ...

##% ...

Ideally I would ignore the following:

... +-##% ...

... +- ##% ...

I think I know the steps to obtain the percentage value, but I don't know how to translate this to M-language. Can you help me figure this out? The steps:

1. Identify posStart = position of the % (I suppose this is Text.PositionOf([Material], "%"))

2. Identify posEnd = position of first of one of following characters more than 1 position in front of the %: {" ", "(", "-"} (0 if none in front)

3. Obtain number values (including decimals) between Start and End position (I suppose this is Text.Middle([Material], posStart, posEnd-PosStart))

I tried using Column from Example, but with the many criteria it just resulted in: if this material than this percentage, and so on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about this?

Text.Middle(
    Text.Trim(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Column1], "%")),
    1 + Text.PositionOfAny(
            {" ", "(", "-"},
            Occurrence.Last
        )
)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about this?

Text.Middle(
    1 + Text.PositionOfAny(
            {" ", "(", "-"},
            Occurrence.Last
        )
)

@AlexisOlson Thanks for your feedback! Your provided solution seems to correctly identify the percentage from the Material description. The only comment I have is that it also returns a result if there is no "%" in the Material description (i.e.: it gives me the last word/number). How would I best adjust the formula to result in 100 (as in 100%) if no "%" exists?

The simplest modification would be to check for "%" first.

if Text.Contains([Column1], "%") then [previous code] else 100

@AlexisOlson Thanks, I should have been able to figure that out. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors