Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmasimore
Helper I
Helper I

Need PBI to Continue Refresh if a Particular Dataset Refresh Fails (Try-Otherwise) - ODBC/OLE Error

Hello!

I have built an M-Query script (lets call it Script A) that combines Excel spreadsheets in an on-premises folder into one large table. However, if one of these excel spreadsheets is formatted differently (for example, different tab name), the refresh breaks. 

This PBI file has another M-Query script (lets call it Script B) that combines excel spreadsheets from a different on-premises folder. I would like for the refresh to work (i.e. for Script B to run), even if Script A fails.

In order to accomplish this, I set up a try-otherwise block around the entire Script A. If Script A breaks, I coded it to return the string "failed."

Ultimately, what I want is for my report to refresh, even if one of the scripts fails. Its okay if data from one of the scripts isn't loaded into PBI.

However, when I set up the dataset to break when the M-query runs, and when Irefresh my report, I get the following error for that dataset:

OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We cannot convert the value "failed" to type Table.. An unexpected exception occurred.

Here is my code:

let
source =
try(
    let
        Source = Folder.Files("\\uasshare003\\foldershares\Disposition"),
        #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
        #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
        #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
        #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
        #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
        #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Campaign Name", type text}, {"Disposition Name", type text}, {"Media Type Name", type text}, {"Skill Name", type text}, {"Contact ID", Int64.Type}, {"Contact Agent Name", type text}, {"Contact Start Date Time", type datetime}, {"Contact End Date Time", type datetime}, {"Contact Duration", type text}, {"Prequeued", Int64.Type}, {"Prequeue Abandons", type any}, {"IVR Time", type text}, {"Queued", Int64.Type}, {"Inbound Handled", Int64.Type}, {"Abandons", Int64.Type}, {"Abandon Time", type time}, {"Outbound", type any}, {"Outbound Handled", type any}, {"Handle Time", type time}, {"Holds", Int64.Type}, {"Hold Time", type time}, {"Refused", Int64.Type}, {"Speed Of Answer", type text}, {"Inbound Handle Time", type time}}),
        #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each true),
        #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Contact Duration", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Contact Duration.1", "Contact Duration.2", "Contact Duration.3"}),
        #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Contact Duration.1", Int64.Type}, {"Contact Duration.2", Int64.Type}, {"Contact Duration.3", Int64.Type}}),
        #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Contact Duration.1", "Contact Duration (hours)"}, {"Contact Duration.2", "Contact Duration (mins)"}, {"Contact Duration.3", "Contact Duration (secs)"}}),
        #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "IVR Time", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"IVR Time.1", "IVR Time.2", "IVR Time.3"}),
        #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"IVR Time.1", Int64.Type}, {"IVR Time.2", Int64.Type}, {"IVR Time.3", Int64.Type}}),
        #"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type2",{{"IVR Time.1", "IVR Time (hours)"}, {"IVR Time.2", "IVR Time (mins)"}, {"IVR Time.3", "IVR Time (secs)"}}),
        #"Split Column by Delimiter2" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Renamed Columns2", "Speed Of Answer", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Speed Of Answer.1", "Speed Of Answer.2", "Speed Of Answer.3"}),
        #"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter2",{{"Speed Of Answer.1", Int64.Type}, {"Speed Of Answer.2", Int64.Type}, {"Speed Of Answer.3", Int64.Type}}),
        #"Renamed Columns3" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type3",{{"Speed Of Answer.1", "Speed Of Answer (hours)"}, {"Speed Of Answer.2", "Speed Of Answer (mins)"}, {"Speed Of Answer.3", "Speed Of Answer (secs)"}}),
        #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns3", each ([Campaign Name] <> "Admin") and ([Skill Name] <> "Test IB Skill" and [Skill Name] <> "Test OB Skill"))
    in
        #"Filtered Rows1"
)
otherwise
(
    "failed"
)
in
source

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Are you combining Script A and Script B together?

If so, I think you'll have more luck returning an empty table rather than a string. That is, #table({},{}) instead of "failed".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Are you combining Script A and Script B together?

If so, I think you'll have more luck returning an empty table rather than a string. That is, #table({},{}) instead of "failed".

@AlexisOlson Thank you this worked!

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Why not otherwise Query2?

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors