Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

dhannaa
Helper IV
Helper IV

Monthly historical currency exchange rates

Hi all,

I need to import monthly historical exchange rates to my report.

I browsed through some APIs for this and it seems they are all a bit on a heavy side for my needs and for a commercial purpose not free. I understand it, but do you happen to know any good source where to get monthly exchange rates? Another possibility is to add a manual currency conversion table but that won't be my first choice here as it needs to be maintained regularly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Did you try this REST API?  I didn't, but it looks free and fairly simple to call for specific dates (or get the latest date with you refresh).

Documentation | Exchange Rates API

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Did you try this REST API?  I didn't, but it looks free and fairly simple to call for specific dates (or get the latest date with you refresh).

Documentation | Exchange Rates API

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks @mahoneypat !

We tackled this issue already in a bit different manner than planned but I'll definitely keep this in mind for similar situations.

Jenni

dhannaa
Helper IV
Helper IV

Yes, I understand it's quite a small task to do manually. It's just that I won't be updating the figures, the report and the source data will be fully maintained by the customer. That's why I would love to find an elegant solution. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Put it into perspective - you only need to pull a couple hundred rows once a month. That's something you can do manually by looking up from OANDA.com for example.

Also be aware that "monthly" means different things to different people, and that the exchange rates depend on if you are buying or selling.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors