Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

emilmaican
Frequent Visitor

Merge one table to another based and return range values

pic.png

Hi,

Please help me with this situation.

I have 2 tables: Data_Table & Dim_Table

I need to merge them (or create a  3rd table) and obtain the result in the picture in table Result_Table.

Basically, I need to merge to Data_table information from Dim Table

What would be the most efficient solution in terms of speed of query execution

Please note that I don't want to do this in DAX

Thanks

@Powerquery

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Solution file uploaded to https://1drv.ms/x/s!Akd5y6ruJhvhuToRmZB1nb7-VcxB?e=n9nXkT 

Use below M code in Data_Table

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data_Table"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "PointsFROM", each List.Last(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]<=[Points]))[Points])),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "PointsTO", each List.First(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]>=[Points]))[Points])),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "ValueFROM", each List.Last(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]<=[Points]))[Value])),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "ValueTO", each List.First(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]>=[Points]))[Value]))
in
    #"Added Custom3"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Solution file uploaded to https://1drv.ms/x/s!Akd5y6ruJhvhuToRmZB1nb7-VcxB?e=n9nXkT 

Use below M code in Data_Table

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data_Table"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "PointsFROM", each List.Last(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]<=[Points]))[Points])),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "PointsTO", each List.First(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]>=[Points]))[Points])),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "ValueFROM", each List.Last(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]<=[Points]))[Value])),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "ValueTO", each List.First(Table.SelectRows(Dim_Table, (x)=> x[Month]=[Month] and (x[Points]>=[Points]))[Value]))
in
    #"Added Custom3"

Thanks a lot. I will use it and come back with feedback.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Can you explain what summarization you are hoping to use? You don't appear to be simply taking the max & min values for the ranges

I'm trying to determine what is the "Value" for the total "Points" on each row in table "Data_Table". After having the requested information (ranges of POINTS and VALUES) I will apply a formula to estimate the most probable "Value" for my Points.

Ex:  I have 70 Points but I don't know the "Value".  Instead I know that for 50 Points the "Value" is 25.6  and for 100 Points the "Value" is 37.6.  

Now, I can estimate de "Value" for 70 Points based on various methods depending on each case (linear, logarithmic etc)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors