Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jscivias
Helper I
Helper I

Issues with automatically applied steps when accessing updated data from API

Hello, I currently have a dataflow housed in power bi premium workspace, with data being sourced through an API call that adds an extra month worth of data every month. The problem is that when I source the data, Power Query automatically applies steps e.g. "expanded column" of existing monthly data (say, January & February), which means that when i refresh the data in March, it will still only expand Jan & Feb columns and ignore the new data that now exists. For now i am just manually repairing this step to recognize the additional new columns, but is there a better solution to getting around this issue? I hope i made myself clear thanks in advance for your help.

jscivias_2-1715091997200.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jscivias ,

Try getting the column names in the record dynamically like this and then expanding it by this.

let
    Source = {
    [Jan = 1, Name = "Bob", Phone = "123-4567"],
    [Jan = 2, Name = "Jim", Phone = "987-6543"],
    [Feb = 3, Name = "Paul", Phone = "543-7890"]
},
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Value"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    ExpandList= List.Distinct(List.Combine(List.Transform(Table.Column( #"Converted to Table", "Value"), each if _ is record then Record.FieldNames(_) else {}))),
    Expand= Table.ExpandRecordColumn( #"Converted to Table", "Value", ExpandList,ExpandList)
in 
    Expand

vcgaomsft_0-1715131634794.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Hi there, thanks for your suggestion - I tested out your code in advanced editor and saw that it worked well, then I only changed the source to my own (API call) but for some reason the column to be expanded doesn't expand. Here is mine, the only difference being my source:

jscivias_0-1715615368076.png

but the last step expand results in this:

jscivias_1-1715615515075.png

where the "value" column gets new data added every month (e.g. next month when i refresh data it will have Apri 2024):

jscivias_0-1715615920369.png

as the final step doesn't expand the columns dynamically, if i manually expand as my next step, i am left with the same issue.. thanks again for any suggestions

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors