Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arolon2
Frequent Visitor

Importing a folder from Sharepoint

Hello,

I am attempting to import a Sharepoint folder that contains .xlsx files. I am clicking on Get Data -> More -> Sharepoint Folder. When asked for the site URL I go to the sharepoint folder, click on the ellipsis, and use the Get a Link option. 

When I use the restricted link I receive the following message:

arolon2_1-1627394113916.png

If I use the view link the message is:

arolon2_0-1627394028480.png

I have access to view and edit the folder under my windows/org login but am not able to import. What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@arolon2 ,

Yes, I believe once you import the Home Folder using the Get Data process, you should be able to filter the [Folder Path] field to only show rows within your chosen folder.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @arolon2 ,

When you select SharePoint Folder as a new source, the URL that you put in the dialog should be in this format:

https://yourOrganisationName-my.sharepoint.com/personal/your_account_email_address/

Note the underscores in your_account_email_address that replace any special symbols (@, dot, dash etc.).

When the next dialog appears, you want to select Microsoft account on the left, then select the level in the dropdown box to the one that fully includes your account email address at the end.

This should get you to the Combine & Transform / Transform option dialog. Once you import this into Power Query, you can navigate to the exact SharePoint folder you need by expanding the embedded Tables.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Not 100% on waht you mean by noting the underscores. Tried putting my email address in that spot and still got a 404 error.

@arolon2 

Sorry, probably didn't explain that very well.

So, if your MS account email address that you log into SharePoint/O365 with is

my.name@some-company.co.uk, this becomes my_name_some_company_co_uk

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Still recieved a 404 error. Also the sharepoint folder I am trying to import from is a shared folder, not personal. Unsure how that URL would help and not the URL I get when I click on the folders ellipses in Sharepoint.

Update: So I have been able to link the home folder in sharepoint. My issue is that I am trying to link to a subfolder in it. Am I able to do this?

@arolon2 ,

Yes, I believe once you import the Home Folder using the Get Data process, you should be able to filter the [Folder Path] field to only show rows within your chosen folder.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors