Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tkre
Frequent Visitor

Importing Newly Added JSONs from Folder Source

I'm trying to use the folder sourcing for a constantly expanding library of JSON files that we use for production tracking.  I'm trying to seperate out only the date/time portion from "ScanHistory" and combine that from all files to be able to model production from the raw data.  I have no trouble setting up the query to do that by transposing, merging, and splitting but when new files are added they aren't included with the merge step.  I have a feeling that the sample file paramenters are key to pre-parsing the files to end up with a single column from the combined data that I don't have to transpose and merge but I'm not familiar enough with it to know if that's true or how to do so.  

I've included a small sample file to show what I'm dealing with.

{"ScanHistory": "[('Scanner', '744211-04', 1, '12/15/18 07:28:00:095000'), ('Scanner', '744211-04', 1, '12/15/18 07:28:11:373000'), ('Scanner', '744211-04', 1, '12/15/18 07:28:13:488000')]", "ShiftNotes": "", "Operators": {"1": "Sharon", "2": "Laura"}, "Shift": "1", "Date": "12/15/2018", "Work Order": 5118, "Counters": {"Inventory ASM": 0, "Cycle Time": 0, "NC Out Per": 0, "Boxes Made": 0, "NC ASM": 0, "Parts Made": 3, "Start Parts Original": 0, "Unchanged Original Start": 0, "Cleared ASM": 0, "QC ASM": 0, "Parts Remaining at Start": 880, "Pallets Made": 0, "IN Table": {"Light Symbol": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}, "Overlay": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}, "Rubber": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}, "Tape": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}, "Substrate": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}, "Electronics": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}, "Light Guide": {"QCheck": 0, "NC": 0, "QCleared": 0}}, "Start Parts": 0, "NC In Count": 0, "Good ASM": 3, "Total Production": 3}}
2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tkre 

Do you connect  to folders with Power BI Desktop as this article "How to Load Data from a Folder in Power BI"?

Does the new file have the same structure as previous ones?

Best Regards

Maggie

I follow that but have slightly different options since there's no combine and load.  When I click combine and edit, it goes straight to the editor without a preview either.

BI JSONIn the editor I then get this:

I've then been filtering the rows to get just "ScanHistory" which has the entire scan time history for that work order mixed with the barcode data in each row.  I was using transpose then merge to get all of them into a single cell then split using delimiters to break it out into a single long column and filtering out non-dates until I had only the date/time left.  The problem was merge only selects the actual columns present during the step so every file added would add a column that wouldn't be included in that step.

Worst case I have the production software output into a seperate .csv in addition to the production files but I've really like to directly read the production data if possible to have a single source of truth.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors