Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rwlsxn
Regular Visitor

Import data from SQL without store procedure

Hey, 

First time posting here so please be forgiving if my wording or explanations aren't exact. 

I'm trying to get a specific column from SQL through Power BI. 

I'm using Import, as DirectQuery doesn't fit what I need to do to the data in the long run. There will be a LOT of transformation done in PBI (which I know is not best practice, but it will cost a fortune and take months to get our admins to build me a view with all the transformation included in SQL and unfortunately it's just not a feasible option for our team). The data in SQL is just too large for PBI to handle. I can't even get it to load in! I waited 5 hours one day and had to cancel the load as two of the tables were showing as over 25mil rows each! 

This means I need to be able to filter the data before it even comes in, based on dates. 

I've tried to start off simple, as I've not used SQL very much in my PBI career. Firstly, I'm just trying to select the distinct values from one column in a view table in SQL. I've done the following:
Filled in the server name, and database, selected Import, and wrote in the advanced editor:

"SQL SELECT DISTINCT LOADDATE
from Table_Name"

but I'm getting a stored procedure error that says "Microsoft SQL: Could not find stored procedure 'SQL'."

I'm confused. What do I need to do to get these distinct values in? Do I need a stored procedure? If so, does anyone have any other workarounds for this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @rwlsxn ,

Exactly what type of SQL DB is your source? SQL Server, Oracle etc.?

Most SQL DB sources will actually fold back to the source from Power Query when done correctly so you shouldn't really need to write any actual SQL code to get this working quickly.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding 

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @rwlsxn ,

Exactly what type of SQL DB is your source? SQL Server, Oracle etc.?

Most SQL DB sources will actually fold back to the source from Power Query when done correctly so you shouldn't really need to write any actual SQL code to get this working quickly.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding 

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

SQL Server. 

Feeling like a bit of an idiot... I took out the 'SQL' part of my select statement and it ran without a hitch!! 

Thank you for that Query folding resource btw, I will definitely be utilising it throughout this development! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors