Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

If there is no data for the new month, add data from the last month

Hello.
I would like to know if it is possible to create a column or measure that if there is no new data for a new month then to enter the last data that is, and in case the data is added is to add new updated data. 

In my table I have a column with dates, but for each unit there is not the same month closing period. Some units send the report quarterly and some send the report monthly.
In addition, I have prepared a column with a formula that filters last R12 ( R12 Filter )

if Date.From(Date.AddMonths(DateTime.LocalNow(),-1))>= [Date] and [Date] > Date.From(Date.AddMonths(DateTime.LocalNow(),-13)) then "R12" else null

and i have it this view:

piotrgrendus87_2-1666706406824.png

The goal is to create a view like the following images:

In red the latest data
In blue, data copied from Jun 2022, as there are no newer

piotrgrendus87_3-1666706609456.png

If there is new data in October then for the month of October, you will see new values

piotrgrendus87_0-1666706073085.png

piotrgrendus87_1-1666706095205.png

Regards Piotr.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @piotrgrendus87 ,

I started with the screenshot below:

(try to use the hybrid method. It's much easier and more efficient. The merge method returns everything, and I missed out on one step, i.e filtering.)

KT_Bsmart2gethe_0-1667085723028.png

CalendarTable

let
    startDate = #date(2022, 1, 1),  //input your own start date
    endDate = #date(2022, 12, 1),   //input your own end date
    dateList = List.Select(                                             //select only the first date of the month
                List.Transform(                                         //convert number to date
                        {Number.From(startDate)..Number.From(endDate)}, //List of date
                        Date.From
                    ), 
                    each 
                        Date.Day(_) = 1
                )
in
    dateList

MainTable

let
    //data as per screenshot
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", type number}}),

Gap = Table.FromList(
                List.Difference(Date, #"Changed Type"[Date]),           //use the list.difference function to find the gap
                Splitter.SplitByNothing(),                      
                {"Date"}                                                //name the column as per the date column in the main table
            ),
    Combine = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type", Gap}),                    //append the main table with the gap
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(Combine,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}),   //sort the date colummn
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Sorted Rows",{"Value"})           //fill down to fill the gap
in
    #"Filled Down"

Regards

KT

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi   ,  

There are multiple ways to achieve the outcome:

No code method:

1. Create a complete date table (i.e. 2022-01, 2022-02 .....);
  2. Merge your main table with the date table;
  3. Sort by date;
  4. Apply the fill down function.

Hybrid: 

1. Create a calendar table:= List.Distinct(List.Transform({Number.From(#date(2022,1,1))..Number.From(#date(2022,12,1))}, each Date.ToText(Date.From(_),"yyyy-MM")))
  2. Go to the main table, add a custom step:Table.Combine( { Table.FromList( List.Difference(Calendar,PreviousStep[Date]), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Date"} ), PreviousStep } )
  3. Sort the date column
  4. apply the fill down function.

Regards

KT

Hello.

I used this method and i received this result:

First 1.png

When I execute the fill down procedure I received this and the same value is duplicated several times in the rows:

Second.png

but if removed duplicated by date column ( 01/08/2022) it is remove all my date in background so out of about 400,000 rows I finally see only 35 rows

Screenshot 2022-10-29 011131.png

and my goal is to see something like in column Date

4.png

Regards Piotr.

Hi @piotrgrendus87 ,

I started with the screenshot below:

(try to use the hybrid method. It's much easier and more efficient. The merge method returns everything, and I missed out on one step, i.e filtering.)

KT_Bsmart2gethe_0-1667085723028.png

CalendarTable

let
    startDate = #date(2022, 1, 1),  //input your own start date
    endDate = #date(2022, 12, 1),   //input your own end date
    dateList = List.Select(                                             //select only the first date of the month
                List.Transform(                                         //convert number to date
                        {Number.From(startDate)..Number.From(endDate)}, //List of date
                        Date.From
                    ), 
                    each 
                        Date.Day(_) = 1
                )
in
    dateList

MainTable

let
    //data as per screenshot
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", type number}}),

Gap = Table.FromList(
                List.Difference(Date, #"Changed Type"[Date]),           //use the list.difference function to find the gap
                Splitter.SplitByNothing(),                      
                {"Date"}                                                //name the column as per the date column in the main table
            ),
    Combine = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type", Gap}),                    //append the main table with the gap
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(Combine,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}),   //sort the date colummn
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Sorted Rows",{"Value"})           //fill down to fill the gap
in
    #"Filled Down"

Regards

KT

Hi,
I tried this method but i received error message. Are you able to attach a file with this example of how you did it ?
Regards Piotr.

Hi @piotrgrendus87 ,

Please see below link to the workbook:

Solution 

Regards

KT

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors