Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

philthomasp

IF statement issue

Hello,

I'm new to Power Query, and I am working on a formula where I will create a Custom Column, and what I need the new column to provide is the following:

subtract 2 date columns and return the number of days

IF the result is less than 0, return 0, otherwise return the vaule

So, based off what I've read, this is my current formula:

=IF ([Closed On.1]-[Due On.1] < 0, 0, [Closed On.1]-[Due On.1])

This gives me no syntax errors, but when I close the window, PQ immediately gives me a "The name 'IF' wasn't recognized.

What is happening that would cause the error even if my syntax is correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @philthomasp ,

The Issue could be because subtracting two dates would return a date and not a number to use with a relational operator <. So alternatively create a measure having DATEDIFF function in it as shown below

Measure = IF(DATEDIFF(MAX(Table3[Drte2]),MAX(Table3[Dte1]),DAY) < 0, 0, DATEDIFF(MAX(Table3[Drte2]),MAX(Table3[Dte1]),DAY))

Rgds, 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @philthomasp ,

The Issue could be because subtracting two dates would return a date and not a number to use with a relational operator <. So alternatively create a measure having DATEDIFF function in it as shown below

Measure = IF(DATEDIFF(MAX(Table3[Drte2]),MAX(Table3[Dte1]),DAY) < 0, 0, DATEDIFF(MAX(Table3[Drte2]),MAX(Table3[Dte1]),DAY))

Rgds, 

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @philthomasp ,
Try "if" in m language which is what Power Query uses. Or try using a conditional column rather than a custom column.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Just for my own knowledge, but to clarify...m language is what we see when creating a custom column, and DAX is the advanced editor?

Hello @philthomasp ,
m language is what is used in Power Query and is shown in the Advanced Editor. DAX is used in Power BI, Excel and elsewhere. 

Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "Custom", each if [User] = "a" then 1 else 0)

So, I added the a custom column using the UI and above is what shown in the formula bar. The three pictures below, from the bottom, show the same conditional and custom column, and then it is shown in the Advanced Editor. From an efficiency standpoint, most of the time you can create measures (Using DAX) or calculated columns (Using DAX) however calculated columns, are better written in Power Query.

Check out M is for (DATA) Monkey by @KenPuls 

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel
if12.PNG

if1.PNG

if.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors