Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pmurz
Advocate III
Advocate III

How to manage the order of query execution?

Is there a way to force Power BI to execute my queries in a known or preferred order?   
I have one model with well structured queries which sequentially build out a data model from a large JSON file of activities.

If I manually step through the queries in the logical order, the total time is a couple of minutes.   If I try refresh from the Desktop, it automatically tries queries out of that order and takes an exceptionally long time and often gives up. 

Any advice is welcomed.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pmurz First, I would make sure that Parallel loading of queries is disabled. That is under the Report settings, Data load in File | Options and settings | Options.

Second, take a look if you can create a controller query for some of your queries. In other words, disable load on your base queries and then create a query that runs those other queries sequentially within it to create a table.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pmurz
Advocate III
Advocate III

@Greg_Deckler thank you for the advice.  Turning off the Parallel Loading did the trick.  It takes longer to execute, but never fails. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pmurz First, I would make sure that Parallel loading of queries is disabled. That is under the Report settings, Data load in File | Options and settings | Options.

Second, take a look if you can create a controller query for some of your queries. In other words, disable load on your base queries and then create a query that runs those other queries sequentially within it to create a table.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for Greg,

Please could you elabrate on how to create a controller query for other querirs in sequence in Power Query and Power BI?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors