Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stampedeadam
Regular Visitor

How to get weekdays from a date range

Hi everyone I am new here and hoping someone can help me find a solution to this powerquery problem:

Let's say I have two columns with dates in them, one called "startdate" and one called "enddate".  What I need to make is another column that has all the weekdays included between those two dates. The order that the weekdays appear is not important.

(NB - I am in the UK, and we write the date as DD/MM/YY).  I am using powerquery from within powerBI.

So, for example, if I had 11/03/23 as the startdate and 16/03/23 as the enddate, the column would have "Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday" or the same in a different order.

I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

= List.Transform({Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate)},each Date.DayOfWeekName(Date.From(_)))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
stampedeadam
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much indeed to both @KeyurPatel14 and @wdx223_Daniel for their kind assistance

@wdx223_Daniel's solution was the best fit for what I am trying to do.

In case anyone else has a similar requirement and searches for this in the future, I needed to add one square bracket to @wdx223_Daniel's solution for it to work (I have inserted it into his solution and made it red/bold):

= List.Transform({Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate])},each Date.DayOfWeekName(Date.From(_)))

KeyurPatel14
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

HI @stampedeadam ,
Please I have implemented the same question and also got the expected output.
Here is the M Code for the same:
let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDWNzTUNzIwMlbSAXPMIJxYHYicOZKckQlULhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Start Date" = _t, #"End Date" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start Date", type date}, {"End Date", type date}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "AllDates", each let
alldateinnumber = {Number.From([Start Date])..Number.From([End Date])},
alldateindate = List.Transform(alldateinnumber,each Date.From(_))
in
alldateindate),
#"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "AllDates"),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"AllDates", type date}}),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "WeekDay", each Date.DayOfWeekName([AllDates]))
in
#"Added Custom1"

Please refer the below image for better understanding:

KeyurPatel14_0-1678682556467.png

I hope this will solve your problem and if you face any difficulties then please let me know.
And if this helps you then give it a kudos and accept it as a solution.

Thank you,
KeyurPatel

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

= List.Transform({Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate)},each Date.DayOfWeekName(Date.From(_)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors