Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matheus_peppers
Frequent Visitor

How to do multiple substitutions in the same step?

I am trying a challenge to do multiple substitutions in the same column, but only consume a single step, instead of having several.

Example:

I want to do the following substitutions in the column:

Valor AtualValor Desejado
instagram_storiesstories
instream_storiesinstream stories
instream_videoinstream video
unknowndesconhecido

And furthermore, I want to do the same thing in another column that I want to apply multiple replacements like this in the same step.

Can anyone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, the bits that you need above are:

translations = {{"instagram_stories", "stories"}, {"instream_stories", "instream stories"}, {"instream_video", "instream video"}, {"unknown", "desconhecido"}},

This is a vocabulary of substitutions, what do you want to replace with what. You would need to add it manually (using Advanced Editor) between any lines (as long as it is not after the last one [before the last "in"). And of course you will need to add your pairs using the provided template/example above.

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns",null,null,(x,y,z) as text => List.First(List.Select(translations, each _{0}=x)){1},{"Demo", "Demo - 2"})

This line is what actually does the job, all you need to do here: change the #"Renamed Columns" to a reference to the step in your code that should preceed the replace.

Actually, I suggest that you would use the stock Replace command from menu on the columns that you want to replace values and then change the fourth parameter (Replacer.ReplaceText ) to (x,y,z) as text => List.First(List.Select(translations, each _{0}=x)){1} it should solve the problem.

Cheers,

John

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @matheus_peppers,

I guess there are few options depending on your preferences.

This one uses a translation list to do the substitutes, you can also add some default value to List.First which would be returned if the item is not on the list (e.g. return x which is the original value).

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WyswrLklML0rMjS8uyS/KTC1W0lGCsWJ1IPJFqSjSMCEFrOrKMlNS85FVQQRAakrzsvPyy/OAkimpxcn5eRmpyZkpQKlYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Valor Atual" = _t, #"Valor Desejado" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Valor Atual", type text}, {"Valor Desejado", type text}}),
    translations = {{"instagram_stories", "stories"}, {"instream_stories", "instream stories"}, {"instream_video", "instream video"}, {"unknown", "desconhecido"}},
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Valor Atual", "Demo"),
    #"Duplicated Column1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "Demo", "Demo - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column1",{{"Demo - Copy", "Demo - 2"}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns",null,null,(x,y,z) as text => List.First(List.Select(translations, each _{0}=x)){1},{"Demo", "Demo - 2"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Kind regards,

John

Sorry buddy, I didn't understand it very well. Especially since I am very new to the M language. What would be the simplest way for me to do this? I tried to use List.ReplaceMatchingItems, but it didn't work. It says something like: "5 arguments have been entered for something that would expect 2 or 3 arguments". I don't get it, very well.

Well, the bits that you need above are:

This is a vocabulary of substitutions, what do you want to replace with what. You would need to add it manually (using Advanced Editor) between any lines (as long as it is not after the last one [before the last "in"). And of course you will need to add your pairs using the provided template/example above.

This line is what actually does the job, all you need to do here: change the #"Renamed Columns" to a reference to the step in your code that should preceed the replace.

Actually, I suggest that you would use the stock Replace command from menu on the columns that you want to replace values and then change the fourth parameter (Replacer.ReplaceText ) to (x,y,z) as text => List.First(List.Select(translations, each _{0}=x)){1} it should solve the problem.

Cheers,

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors