Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

manjarigoyal
Frequent Visitor

How to create a new column and use DateDiff function with multiple IF statements?

I am very new to Power BI and trying to create a new column Aging and Logic will be

Logic 1:

IF the column Proposed Complete Date does not contain Good and ART and 2021 and 2020 then DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date], DAY)

Logic 2:

IF [Sliped Date] > "2019-12-31" then DateTimeDiff([Sliped Date],[Request Date],"days") else [Aging]

I tried few ways but so far I didn't get any results. All of these are errors out.

Aging =

Table.AddColumn(#"Duplicated Column1", "Aging", each if not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"Good") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2021")and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2020") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"ART") then DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date],"DAY") else "")

Aging =

SWITCH(TRUE(),not(CONTAINSSTRING('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date],"Good")),DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date], DAY),not(CONTAINSSTRING('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date],"2021")),DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date], DAY),not(CONTAINSSTRING('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date],"2020")),DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date], DAY),not(CONTAINSSTRING('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date],"ART")),DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date], DAY),0)

Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Aging =

Table.AddColumn(#"Duplicated Column1", "Aging", each if not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"Good") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2021")and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2020") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"ART") then Duration.TotalDays([Today Date]-[Request Date]) else "")

Logic 2:

if [Sliped Date] > #date(2019,12,31) then Duration.TotalDays([Sliped Date]-[Request Date]) else [Aging]

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Aging =

Table.AddColumn(#"Duplicated Column1", "Aging", each if not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"Good") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2021")and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2020") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"ART") then Duration.TotalDays([Today Date]-[Request Date]) else "")

Logic 2:

if [Sliped Date] > #date(2019,12,31) then Duration.TotalDays([Sliped Date]-[Request Date]) else [Aging]

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

@watkinnc I have tried your query and it didn't work it came out as an error

Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Errors1", "Aging", each if not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"Good") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2021")and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"2020") and not Text.Contains([Proposed Complete Date],"ART") then Duration.TotalDays([Today Date]-[Request Date]) else if [Sliped Date] > #date(2019,12,31) then Duration.TotalDays([Sliped Date]-[Request Date]) else "")

Below is the screenshot

manjarigoyal_0-1626806376099.png

@watkinnc I found the issue. My columns type was text instead of the date that's why I was getting errors. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

manjarigoyal
Frequent Visitor

I got the DAX formula working but still couldn't figure it out in M

Aging =

IF

('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date] = "Good",BLANK(),

IF

('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date] = "ART",BLANK(),

IF

(CONTAINSSTRING('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date],"2021"), BLANK(),

IF

(CONTAINSSTRING('Request Status'[Proposed Complete Date],"2020"), BLANK(),DATEDIFF([Today Date],[Request Date], DAY)

)

)

)

)

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Do you want this in Power Query (M) or DAX?

Preference is Power Query (M).

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@manjarigoyal I believe you are mixing DAX and M code. You have M code if syntax but use DATEDIFF, which is a DAX function. Same thing in second example AddColumn, that's all M code until you get to DATEDIFF, which isn't a thing in M. Then your last example uses all DAX code so that's at least good. No idea what might be wrong with it. 

All of this said, since it looks like you just want the days between two dates, just subtract them. In DAX it is:

days = ( [Date1] - [Date2] ) * 1.

You can do something similar in M by converting the dates to numeric numbers and such.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors