Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gj-bizguy
Frequent Visitor

How to Perform Power Query (M) Drill down on all Rows

Hello - I have been working on a 3rd party connector that returns a Jobs table in the query editor. In the Jobs table, there is a column called [Accounts] which in the query editor view only contains one value '...'     

I can right click and peform a 'Drill Down' on this and it reveals a text value as a list. How can i perform this across ALL rows so [Accounts] is filled with the string text?

I can see the data is assocaited somehow to the [Accounts] column, but I cannot extract the data on all rows. The importance is that Jobs.[Accounts] = Accounts.[Account Name] for linking the tables after loading.

m-query 2.PNGm-query 3.PNG

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

8 REPLIES 8
sdshiyalwala
Frequent Visitor

@gj-bizguy sir did you get solution for this drill down all the rows as I am in need of this drill down all columns because I get full text only on drilled down row, and i want all the rows to be drilled down.

Thanks

Sanjay

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Cells can look like this if you have a bunch of white space at the beginiing. Try doing Clean and Trim on the Accounts column to see if this is this issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Ellipsis-in-Power-query-value-field/td-p/2141281

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

HI @gj-bizguy 

Can you please share your file/data.

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

gj-bizguy
Frequent Visitor

I have found that using the Function.Invoke clause, I was able to get a list of errors. Does anybody know how to solve the blow error that is resulting from the Applied Step = Table.AddColumn(table,"newcol", each Function.Invoke(each [ID],[Accounts]))?

The error is "Expression.Error: Cannot convert the value "Dixon Projects" to type List." The thing is, i just want the returned value to be "Dixon Projects" in the specific record for [newcol]. Each error recognizes the string text specifically that I want returned in that row.

How can this last step be done?

gjbizguy_0-1652473678890.png

Hi @gj-bizguy ,

Please see the parameters explaination of Function.Invoke():

Function.Invoke( function as function, args as list) as any 

The second parameter requires a list parameter while you have used a column in it so it would remind the convertion error.

In addition, you have said that [ID] is a function type, perhaps you can consider sharing a sample query about it and the expected output.

Sample data and expected output would help tremendously.
Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

gj-bizguy
Frequent Visitor

Update - the [ID] Column is of type 'function', and I have never experienced this before. When I use Drill-Down on a specific [Accounts] field, the editor performs the [ID] function and returns [Accounts] as a string. However, I have only figured out how to do this on one ID at a time.

Is there anyway to perform the [ID] function to all rows using m-query?

Thanks again

gj-bizguy
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for writing back, Phil---When I drill down, i get the second image in my original post. I am reposting it below . In this example I drill down on the second row with ID = "1004ebe9-"etc, the result is Dixon Projects as a list. So there is some data that is in this column in some form, but I cannot capture all the detail I need.

m-query 3.PNG

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @gj-bizguy 

That Accounts column only contains ... so there's no other data to extract from it?  I don't see how Drilling Down will give you any more data?

When you Drill Down what is revealed?

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors