Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

d474boy
Helper I
Helper I

How do I create a DateTime field from a Date field and a Number field

Hi everyone, this is my first ever post to the Power BI Community Forums

I am also very new to Power Query and the M Language.

Anyway, I have a query that is pulling out two fields which are 'Completed Date' and 'Completed Time' but the Time is just a decimal number. The Decimal number is something like 10.3 but this acually means 10:30.

I want to combine the Date and Number into a single column called Completed_DateTime. In Excel this would be as simple as the following formula:

Completed_DateTime = Completed_Date + INT(Number) / 24 + 100 * MOD(Number,1) / 24 / 60

The best I have come up with in Power Query is:

#"Add Temp End_DateTime col" = Table.AddColumn(#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates", "Actual_End_DateTime", each [Actual_End_Date]),
#"Change Type of temp col to DateTime" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Add Temp End_DateTime col",{{"Actual_End_DateTime", type datetime}}),
#"Create the real End_DateTime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Type of temp col to DateTime", "Actual_End_DateTime2", each [Actual_End_DateTime] + #duration(0,Number.RoundDown([Actual_End_Time]),Number.RoundDown(100*Number.Mod([Actual_End_Time],1)),0)),

Surely it could be done in a single step. For example, can I create

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @d474boy 

Add a custom column

Text.Combine
({
   Text.From(Date.AddDays([Completed Date], Int64.From(
    [Completed Time]/24)), "en-US"), 
   Text.From(Text.Combine
       ({Text.From(Int64.From([Completed Time]), "en-US"),
         Text.From(Int64.From(100*Number.Mod([Completed Time],1)), "en-US")}, ":"),
    "en-US")}, 
":")

Capture14.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

gpoggi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @d474boy 

Yep, there are differente ways to accomplish this, for example if your Completed_Date is never null you can try just this line:

#datetime(Date.Year([Completed_Date]),Date.Month([Completed_Date]), Date.Day([Completed_Date]), Number.RoundDown([Number]),Number.Mod([Number],1)*100,0)

if you have nulls then add a simple condition:

if
  [Completed_Date] = null
then
  null
else 
  #datetime(Date.Year([Completed_Date]),Date.Month([Completed_Date]), Date.Day([Completed_Date]), Number.RoundDown([Number]),Number.Mod([Number],1)*100,0)

Hope this helps,

Any question, just let me know,

Regards, 

Gian Carlo Poggi

Hi @gpoggi 

I have worked out how to add your clever bit of code in, as below:

#"Rename Raw Fieldnames" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Format DataDatetime as datetime",{{"ORDER_C", "OrderNumber"}, {"CONTRACT_C", "ContractCode"}, {"CRSTAMP_C", "ReceivedDatetime"}, {"DESC_C", "OrderDescription"}, {"PRIORITY_C", "PriorityCode"}, {"CMPRDT_C", "ActualEndDate"}, {"SCTIME_C", "ActualEndTime"}, {"RTREATM_C", "JobType"}, {"USRN_C", "USRN"}, {"LOCN_C", "DefectLocation"}}),
#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Rename Raw Fieldnames",#date(1900, 1, 1),null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"ActualEndDate"}),
#"Create CompletedDatetime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates", "CompletedDatetime", each if
[ActualEndDate] = null
then
null
else
#datetime(Date.Year([ActualEndDate]),Date.Month([ActualEndDate]), Date.Day([ActualEndDate]), Number.RoundDown([ActualEndTime]),Number.Mod([ActualEndTime],1)*100,0)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Create CompletedDatetime",{"ActualEndDate", "ActualEndTime"}),

However, this is giving an error when the number field (ActualEndTime) is not a whole number. The field is formatted as DecimalNumber and has values for sequential rows of: 0, 14, 10.42 etc.

I have overcome the error by adding a Number.Round() to the Number.Mod([ActualEndTime],1)*100 part, so my code atually reads:

#"Rename Raw Fieldnames" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Format DataDatetime as datetime",{{"ORDER_C", "OrderNumber"}, {"CONTRACT_C", "ContractCode"}, {"CRSTAMP_C", "ReceivedDatetime"}, {"DESC_C", "OrderDescription"}, {"PRIORITY_C", "PriorityCode"}, {"CMPRDT_C", "ActualEndDate"}, {"SCTIME_C", "ActualEndTime"}, {"RTREATM_C", "JobType"}, {"USRN_C", "USRN"}, {"LOCN_C", "DefectLocation"}}),
#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Rename Raw Fieldnames",#date(1900, 1, 1),null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"ActualEndDate"}),
#"Create CompletedDatetime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates", "CompletedDatetime", each if
[ActualEndDate] = null
then
null
else
#datetime(Date.Year([ActualEndDate]),Date.Month([ActualEndDate]), Date.Day([ActualEndDate]), Number.RoundDown([ActualEndTime]),Number.Round(Number.Mod([ActualEndTime],1)*100),0)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Create CompletedDatetime",{"ActualEndDate", "ActualEndTime"}),

I don't know why this adjustment was necessary but at least it works.

Thanks for your help.

gpoggi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @d474boy,

It's probably because of the input data, if you can get it fixed with Number.Round before the Number.Mod, great, if not just send an screen of your table to see how is the data was generated until step #"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates". And I would help you to find the reason about why is that error being showed.

Any question, just let me know.

Regards,

Gian Carlo Poggi

Hi @gpoggi 

The full code is:

let
Source = Sql.Databases("XXXXXXXXXXXXX"),
cpa_LIVE = Source{[Name="YYYYYYYYY"]}[Data],
dbo_SWOL = cpa_LIVE{[Schema="dbo",Item="SWOL"]}[Data],
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_SWOL, each [SN] = "506501" and ([CONTRACT_C] = "GH1901" or [CONTRACT_C] = "GH2001")),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"CONTRACT_C", "ORDER_C", "CMPRDT_C", "CRSTAMP_C", "LOCN_C", "PRIORITY_C", "SCTIME_C", "RTREATM_C", "USRN_C", "DESC_C"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"CMPRDT_C", type date}}),
#"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"LOCN_C", Text.Trim, type text}}),
#"Cleaned Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Trimmed Text",{{"LOCN_C", Text.Clean, type text}}),
#"Trimmed Text1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Cleaned Text",{{"DESC_C", Text.Trim, type text}}),
#"Cleaned Text1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Trimmed Text1",{{"DESC_C", Text.Clean, type text}}),
#"Create TownName field" = Table.AddColumn(#"Cleaned Text1", "TownName", each Text.Start([LOCN_C],Text.PositionOf([LOCN_C]," ")+1)),
#"Reorder Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Create TownName field",{"ORDER_C", "CRSTAMP_C", "DESC_C", "PRIORITY_C", "CMPRDT_C", "RTREATM_C", "USRN_C", "LOCN_C", "TownName"}),
#"Add DataDatetime field" = Table.AddColumn(#"Reorder Columns", "DataDatetime", each DateTime.LocalNow()),
#"Format DataDatetime as datetime" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Add DataDatetime field",{{"DataDatetime", type datetime}}),
[ActualEndDate] = null
then
null
else
#datetime(Date.Year([ActualEndDate]),Date.Month([ActualEndDate]), Date.Day([ActualEndDate]), Number.RoundDown([ActualEndTime]),Number.Round(Number.Mod([ActualEndTime],1)*100),0)),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"OrderNumber", "ContractCode", "ReceivedDatetime", "CompletedDatetime", "OrderDescription", "PriorityCode", "JobType", "USRN", "DefectLocation", "TownName", "DataDatetime"})
in
#"Reordered Columns"

I have noticed that the field type for the SCTIME_C" (renamed to "ActualEndTime") field is Decimal Number. What I suspect is that the #datetime function requires that all its arguments are integer. So, even though all the values in the SCTIME_C field only ever have 2 decimal places (e.g. 10.59) and hence when doing the * 100 the results will always be integer (e.g. 59) the #datetime cannot be certain of this and so rejects the values. However, when the value in the SCTIME_C field was just something like 13 then the #datetime function worked fine, i.e. it would create a datetime of 04/04/2019 13:00:00 for example. So, why this inconsistency?

Hi @gpoggi 

Thanks for the help.

How do I actually implement that code? I don't understand the syntax well enough to just slip this in. I have copied in the section of my code from a bit before the bit that creates the field to just after it. Please could you add in your bit (shown below) exacly in the required syntax.

if
  [Completed_Date] = null
then
  null
else 

#"Add TempCompletedDatetime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates", "TempCompletedDatetime", each [ActualEndDate]),
#"Change Type of Temporary field to DateTime" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Add TempCompletedDatetime",{{"TempCompletedDatetime", type datetime}}),
#"Create the real CompletedDateTime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Type of Temporary field to DateTime", "TempCompletedDatetime2", each [TempCompletedDatetime] + #duration(0,Number.RoundDown([ActualEndTime]),Number.RoundDown(100*Number.Mod([ActualEndTime],1)),0)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Create the real CompletedDateTime",{"TempCompletedDatetime", "ActualEndDate", "ActualEndTime"}),

For example, to show how little I understand, I tried the following using the simpler version of your solution:

#"Add TempCompletedDatetime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Remove 1-1-1900 Dates", "TempCompletedDatetime", each #datetime(Date.Year([Completed_Date]),Date.Month([Completed_Date]), Date.Day([Completed_Date]), Number.RoundDown([Number]),Number.Mod([Number],1)*100,0),
#"Change Type of Temporary field to DateTime" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Add TempCompletedDatetime",{{"TempCompletedDatetime", type datetime}}),
#"Create the real CompletedDateTime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Type of Temporary field to DateTime", "TempCompletedDatetime2", each [TempCompletedDatetime] + #duration(0,Number.RoundDown([ActualEndTime]),Number.RoundDown(100*Number.Mod([ActualEndTime],1)),0)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Create the real CompletedDateTime",{"TempCompletedDatetime", "ActualEndDate", "ActualEndTime"}),

Many thanks

Gareth

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors