Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CarlBlunck
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hours between timestamps

Hi team,

I need to get the hours in decimals between two timestamps.  What is the M code for this?

Example:

SHIFTSTARTDATETIMESHIFTENDDATETIMEHours
9/11/2022 2:45:00 PM9/11/2022 11:15:00 PM8.5
1/12/2022 10:30:00 PM2/12/2022 7:00:00 AM8.5

Thanks

Carl

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
CarlBlunck
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solved this through a few steps:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Time1", "Custom", each [SHIFTENDDATETIME]-[SHIFTSTARTDATETIME]),
#"Inserted Hours" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Hours", each Duration.Hours([Custom]), Int64.Type),
#"Inserted Minutes" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Hours", "Minutes", each Duration.Minutes([Custom]), Int64.Type),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Minutes", "Hours (30 min lunch)", each ([Hours]+([Minutes]/60))-.5),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Custom", "Hours", "Minutes"})

View solution in original post

Ah yes, correct! Then use the Duration.TotalSeconds: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/duration-totalseconds

It will be easier to use I think.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CarlBlunck
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solved this through a few steps:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Time1", "Custom", each [SHIFTENDDATETIME]-[SHIFTSTARTDATETIME]),
#"Inserted Hours" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Hours", each Duration.Hours([Custom]), Int64.Type),
#"Inserted Minutes" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Hours", "Minutes", each Duration.Minutes([Custom]), Int64.Type),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Minutes", "Hours (30 min lunch)", each ([Hours]+([Minutes]/60))-.5),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Custom", "Hours", "Minutes"})

_AlexandreRM_
Helper II
Helper II

Hello @CarlBlunck , I think that what you need is one of the Duration functions. See documentation here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/duration-seconds

Your function could look like:

hours = Duration.Seconds(dateTime1-dateTime2) / 3600

Hope this helps.

Alexandre

Thanks @_AlexandreRM_ unfortuately all of the duration functions just extract the portion of the duration out.  So duration.seconds will just give you the seconds of the calculated duration.  Which in my case, returns 0.

Ah yes, correct! Then use the Duration.TotalSeconds: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/duration-totalseconds

It will be easier to use I think.

Ha it pays to scroll down and read the rest of the available functions list.  Thank mate, much cleaner.  Went with the Duration.TotalHours function as still gives decimals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors