Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SamuelAB
Frequent Visitor

Group All Rows - Possible to keep table Relationships?

I have a fact table that has multiple elements associated with it, these elements have their own relationship tables.

Table 1 - Elements in model

KeyNameType
1Table4x6'
2ChairStandard
3ChairLarge

Table 2 - Properties of these elements

KeyParameterDescriptorElementKeyValueText Value
11144 feet
22166 feet
33233 feet
44222 feet

Table 3 - Parameter Descriptor

KeyNameUnits
1Lenghtfeet
2Widthfeet
3Seat Heightfeet
4Widthfeet

The elements and the parameters are considered facts, so I am looknig to merge them.

To optimize the database, I learned about Grouping and the special "All Tabs" option in grouping.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/group-by

https://www.thepoweruser.com/2019/07/30/grouping-rows-with-power-bi-power-query/

This seems like irt could be a solution. So I take all the paramters and merge with the elements. Then I group by Element IDs and all my parameters get stored in a special table I can seemingly only access with DAX (this part is realy not well documented).

What I did notice is thast the embedded/grouped parameter mini table seems to lose its relationship with Table 3, the Parameter Descriptor. Is there a way to keep this connection active? Based on my description, is grouping the best way to manage this element parameter data?

We want to be albe to easily count elements, but also pull out all their parameter and specific parameter when the time comes.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SamuelAB ,

Is your problem solved? If so, would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirment will find the solution quickly and benefit here, thank you!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SamuelAB ,

Not very clear about your expected result, but why not just use Home>Merge Queries instead of Group By.

vkalyjmsft_1-1667890295073.png

Then both select the Key column as matching column. As there're more keys in the second table, you can choose Right Outer join kind here.

vkalyjmsft_7-1667890702404.png

After merge, they are in the same table.

vkalyjmsft_8-1667890904806.png

If you don't want to change the original table, you can choose Merge Queries as New.

vkalyjmsft_10-1667890989377.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors