Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisBLVD
Frequent Visitor

Forward Geocoding within Power BI

All,

New to Power BI and having the following difficulty. I have about a dataset (being pulled from google sheets) of about 140k addresses. I'd like to show these points on either a mapbox or bing maps visual. However, the addresses only include the street address "2314 Main Street", City ("Norfolk"), and State ("Virginia"). 

I've merged these columns to show, for example, "2314 Main Street, Norfolk, VA". However, when I throw this into Bing maps, I'm getting points in other parts of the world as well (inaccurate). This is the primary issue.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use forward geocoding to try and insert the correct latitude and logitide coordinates for each address. This is proving difficult given that i have 140k data points. All addresses, in this case, should reside in Norfolk, VA. 

Any help would be great - thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mpicca13
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@chrisBLVD  try this video, this guy uses bing maps to get lats and longs from addresses: https://youtu.be/YxwU5UubWjI

Please accept this as a solution if this helped.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mpicca13
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@chrisBLVD  try this video, this guy uses bing maps to get lats and longs from addresses: https://youtu.be/YxwU5UubWjI

Please accept this as a solution if this helped.

@mpicca13 Wow thanks! Works great. Only issue now is that the solution takes quite a while to loop through all 140k rows. This is fine for a single run, but running this every time a refresh occurs is bound to take ~12hrs to loop through all data. 

Do you know of a way to apply this solution to only newly entered data upon refresh? If this requires a new thread, happy to create one. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors