Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

freelensia
Advocate II
Advocate II

Format date of column headers after pivoting

I have a table with country, date, and a value column. I want to pivot the date column so that I can see the value progressing over each day (each row in the table is a Monday of the week).

freelensia_0-1604029450237.png

let
    Source = AdvWeeklyStats,
    DelCol = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"New infections", "New deaths", "Total deaths", "Day of Week"}),
    SortByDate = Table.Sort(DelCol,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}, {"Country", Order.Ascending}}),
    PivotCol = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(SortByDate, {{"Date", type text}}, "en-US"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(SortByDate, {{"Date", type text}}, "en-US")[Date]), "Date", "Total infections")
in
    PivotCol

However after pivoting my date column headers are displayed in m-d-yyyy format.

freelensia_1-1604029767537.png

How can I display them in yyyy/m format? Keeping in mind I do not want a monthly aggregate ! Each record must still pivot to its own column, and there should be 4 columns for each month like this:

2020/3 2020/3 2020/3 2020/3 2020/4 2020/4 2020/4 2020/4 2020/5 ...

If I change en-US to ja-JP then I get the dates formatted as yyyy/mm/dd which is a good start, but not what I need. I looked at this thread but the inner function was too complicated for me to replicate in my case.

Can anybody help me?
@Jimmy801 @Greg_Deckler @amitchandak @parry2k @Mariusz @ImkeF 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @freelensia 

column headers have to be unique. So why not using weeks instead of months? Here an example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("TczBDcAgDEPRXXxGyEkoPXeH3lD2XwNQq4Sb9WT9MfC8KKBWWlWuKfDyq/RQTVULtVRjaEvlKrRPr6NrW2VrP7qM7w33CQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Country = _t, Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Country", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}, "de-DE"),
    #"Calculated Week of Year" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Date", each Text.From(Date.WeekOfYear(_))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Year(_)), type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Calculated Week of Year", List.Distinct(#"Calculated Week of Year"[Date]), "Date", "Value", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @freelensia 

column headers have to be unique. So why not using weeks instead of months? Here an example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("TczBDcAgDEPRXXxGyEkoPXeH3lD2XwNQq4Sb9WT9MfC8KKBWWlWuKfDyq/RQTVULtVRjaEvlKrRPr6NrW2VrP7qM7w33CQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Country = _t, Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Country", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}, "de-DE"),
    #"Calculated Week of Year" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Date", each Text.From(Date.WeekOfYear(_))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Year(_)), type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Calculated Week of Year", List.Distinct(#"Calculated Week of Year"[Date]), "Date", "Value", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors