Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michieldo
Helper III
Helper III

Fill up only one row

Hi,

I have a column with in-sample data and a column with forecasts. The table is formatted as follows:

DateIn-sampleForecast
1-1-2022100null
1-2-2022120null
1-3-2022120null
1-4-2022null130
1-5-2022null130 

I would like the fill up the forecast only by 1 row. My desired result is the following:

DateIn-sampleForecast
1-1-2022100null
1-2-2022120null
1-3-2022120130
1-4-2022null130
1-5-2022null130 

What is the most efficient way in Power Query?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Michieldo ,

You can try edit the code for if the next row is null and the current row is not null then get the next row's forecast else your forecast expression. Before this, add an index column firstly.

if #"Added Index"{[Index]+1} [In-sample] = null & [In-sample] <> null then #"Added Index"{[Index]+1} [Forecast] else [Forecast]

About how to get the next row values ,you can refer this article.

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/referencing-next-row-power-query 

vchenwuzmsft_0-1644462749291.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

What is your back-end data source? If it is SQL, your GROUP BY in Power Query *may* get pushed down into the native T-SQL statement that Power Query issues to the server. If so, such grouping is done by SQL instead of the Power BI mashup engine. Pretty nice. If you are not sure, investigat the topic of "Query folding in Power Query".

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Seems the steps would be:

Filter the data for NULL Forecast, then aggragate to get the max date. Seems simple, what am I missing?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

@ToddChitt Thanks for your reply, that is indeed a possibility. However, I forgot to mention that I have to do this for over a set of 10000 products (>1M rows) so I was looking for a less memory intensive method.

Hi @Michieldo ,

You can try edit the code for if the next row is null and the current row is not null then get the next row's forecast else your forecast expression. Before this, add an index column firstly.

if #"Added Index"{[Index]+1} [In-sample] = null & [In-sample] <> null then #"Added Index"{[Index]+1} [Forecast] else [Forecast]

About how to get the next row values ,you can refer this article.

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/referencing-next-row-power-query 

vchenwuzmsft_0-1644462749291.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors