Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Visualization
Regular Visitor

Extracting specific values from a column

Hello, I'm currently trying to extract specific values from a column into a new column in power query. The column consists of differing values (dates, numbers, words) and I would only like the new column to contain the dates from this existing column. I've tried using extract, lookupvalue, and creating a column from example but have been unable to get solely the dates in the new column. Any help is appreciated, thank you

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did you ensure you were replacing the other step, and not creating a new one?

Otherwise, you could try adding a Custom Column  in the add column tab, and use the code:

if 
Text.Contains([Column1] ,"-") or Text.Contains([Column1] ,"/") or Text.Contains([Column1] ,"\")
then
try
Date.FromText([Column1])
otherwise
null
else
null

Change the red to your column.

It first looks for any of - / \ and if it finds them, tries to transform it to a date

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Duplaicate the column by Right click > duplicate column.

Click on the new column, and change the data type of your new column to Date in Transform > Data Type:

ss.png

Right click on the nbew column and Replace Errors. Type in the word null. 

Now your new column will only contain the dates ! 

T81yPTgno3JQRH71g6qU8f9Ry1Zo76fMxxRrHSKT.gif

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Hello, thank you for the reply! This seems to work for the values that are words (such as "Units" in the screenshot of the column), but for values that are numbers (such as "5800" in the screenshot) they are turned into date values rather than errors. As a result, they do not get changed to null when errors are replaced. Could I be missing something here?

Dates are stored as integers, so that would make sense - Try to change to "Date/Time/Timezone" instead of just date

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Unfortunately this resulted in the same output, where the numbers changed to date/time/timezone rather than error.

Did you ensure you were replacing the other step, and not creating a new one?

Otherwise, you could try adding a Custom Column  in the add column tab, and use the code:

if 
Text.Contains([Column1] ,"-") or Text.Contains([Column1] ,"/") or Text.Contains([Column1] ,"\")
then
try
Date.FromText([Column1])
otherwise
null
else
null

Change the red to your column.

It first looks for any of - / \ and if it finds them, tries to transform it to a date

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors