Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel value as Input to Oracle database Connection data

Hello All,

Am new to Power query and this forum.

I have below requirement,

1. User will enter the OWNER, TABLE_NAME in one sheet of the current excel (any number of lines)

2. We need to fetch the matching records (with OWNER,TABLE_NAME joining) using query (SELECT OWNER,TABLE_NAME,COLUMN_NAME FROM DBA_TABLES) from Oracle database

I tried this using MERGE Queries and inner join with both the cloumns or combining CONCAT(OWNER,".",TABLE_NAME), it seems works. But it is taking more time, since the query from oracle database fetches more records.

Is there any option to construct the query using data from user inputs and send to Oracle database, so that it fill filter the data at the start and return only less data to Excel. My Oracle query will have millions of rows but if we apply the filter then the result would be tousands.

Something like below

= Oracle.Database("rmylocaldb", [Query="SELECT * FROM DBA_TAB_COLS WHERE OWNER_TNAME IN ("&Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"OWNER_TABLE"})])

Or anyother good option is there?

Thanks in Advance.

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Two method :

1. create parameters for "owner" and "table name", then use parameters in the oracle connection string.

for example, please refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Are-nested-parameters-supported/td-p/1159816

create a excel file and enter values inside it, connect to the excel file with power bi, 

then connect to the oracle database and change the query to make it as a function.

invoke the query(connection to oracle) into the table which is from excel.

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/scrape-data-multiple-web-pages-power-query

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

which connector do you use?  "Native"  Oracle, ODBC, or something else?  Does that connector  support custom queries and/or query folding?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am Connection Oracle Database (12c) from Excel as menu Data -> New query -> From Database -> From Oracle Database -> Here I Connect to my Database and Browse the view from the schema.

My Qeury Source is shown in Excel formula as

= Oracle.Database("my_dn_tns", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, Query="SELECT * FROM VIEW_TAB_COLS"])

Change your query to 

= Oracle.Database("my_dn_tns", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, Query="SELECT * FROM VIEW_TAB_COLS WHERE OWNER='" & <reference to owner cell> &"'"])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

I change it as below

= Oracle.Database("my_dn_tns", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, Query="SELECT * FROM VIEW_TAB_COLS WHERE OWNER='" & Sheet3!A5 &"'"])

And getting error message as

Expression.Error: The section 'Sheet2' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Am not sure How to refer the other sheets particular cell value here.

Also my requirement is to put a list of vaules

Something Like

= Oracle.Database("my_dn_tns", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, Query="SELECT * FROM VIEW_TAB_COLS WHERE OWNER IN ('" & Sheet3!A1:A15 &"')"])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors