Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel Connection To Power Query (Power BI Desktop)

Hello,

I have a Power BI project sourcing data from multiple Excel files. In this project, in PQ I have a table with some new columns (merged queries, appended queries, etc.). Then, based on this table (dataset)I am creating a dashboard in Power BI Desktop and publishing to Power BI Service.

My question is - can I establish a connection from a new excel file to this new table mentioned above? 

I need this because, in this new Excel file, I am going to have a Macro that will send e-mail notifications with a table embedded in the e-mail body to specific users, based on some conditions.

thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want to resue queries in excel or power bi from another power bi desktop file, please refer to the following:

https://www.powerbi-pro.com/en/reuse-your-queries-in-power-bi/

if you want to connect to power bi dataset.reports/dashboards in excel, please refre to:

before this, please publish reports to power bi service.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-enable-Excel-Pro-s-to-use-Power-BI-Datasets/ba-p/319772

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my understanding,

1. you create a power bi pbix file and publish to service.

this pbix file has data sources from many excel files.

this file or reports online called test1.

2. Then you want to connect to test1 in a new excel file.

right?

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft yes, exactly! 

The only difference, for now, is that I didn't upload any data to Power BI Service yet. All the files (excel source files and pbix are on my local drive).

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want to resue queries in excel or power bi from another power bi desktop file, please refer to the following:

https://www.powerbi-pro.com/en/reuse-your-queries-in-power-bi/

if you want to connect to power bi dataset.reports/dashboards in excel, please refre to:

before this, please publish reports to power bi service.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-enable-Excel-Pro-s-to-use-Power-BI-Datasets/ba-p/319772

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft 

Thank you for a quick response. This is actually what I did (copy & paste the M code from PBI Query into Excel Power Query). However, it was not working and I had to adjust some steps.

I will mark this as a solution because probably it's the best way to have it done.

thank you!

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

you can query this new Excel-file and then append it once again. But I don't know if this is what you are looking for or what specific requirement you have. You could also think of quering a folder with all your specific files and then use a custom-function to query the content of this excel-file. 

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Jimmy801 

The thing is that I don't have any "new Excel file". I just have a Power BI Desktop file (project?) that is sourcing the data from many excel files and in PQ I am applying some transformations. 

What I have done for now is I have manually re-created the same steps (transformations) in a new Power Query project... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors