Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

drussellgbc
Frequent Visitor

Error: The evaluation has timed out.

I finally downloaded Power Bi for Desktop and have been trying to get it connected to a Salesforce database. For the last few years I've been using a middleware to connect Excel PowerPivot to Salesforce so I am excited to get started with Power BI once and for all.

I have been setting up the query, but every time I try to 'Apply', I receive an error that the evaluation has timed out. Even after paring back my tables and columns to a fairly small subset.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

8 REPLIES 8
Youssef
Employee
Employee

Hi @drussellgbc, were you able to get this to work for you? Can you update the thread if you are still having issues?

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I've seen some mention that the amount of data can be an issue. Have you tried the content pack for Salesforce? Get Data | Services.

Otherwise, send a "frowny face" to support and attach a screen shot of the error. It is the smiley face icon in the upper right in the Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

there are two limitations that make refresh fail:

1. size of the model - 250MB at the most
  2. refresh time - cannot take more than 30 min

So I have a query that takes about 7 minutes to run in SSMS. However, it times out in PowerBI. Any thoughts on why that might be happening?

As I mentioned in your other post related to this, you have direct ability to performance tune your source data, I would suggest that you work on reducing the time of execution on the SQL side for your issue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi  - Wuld be interested to know if you resolved s issue as I've started to get a similar problem.  I've started to get Evaluation time outs on a query from CRM Online.  It's been working fine until yesteday? I cannot work out what has changed?

Thanks

Hi all - mine was a conflict with the securityt settings CRM must be Org or Private level - DOH!

I was able to resolve by starting over and when selecting Salesforce Objects as my data source, NOT selecting the 'Import relationships between Salesforce tables' option. We have a fairly complicated data model so this must have been more than Power BI could deal with.

Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors